WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have recently bought an Accutron (picture attached).

Do not know if it is a 214 or a 218 but the case and crystal are in good order.

The problem is that the minute hand appears to jump by a minute not long after it is set. So far as I can tell, the second hand is not running fast (ie basic timekeeping is good) but the minute hand gains.

I do not have ready access to an Accutron repairer - do any of you guys have an idea what the problem may be?

thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Welcome to Accutron ownership and the forum. Your picture is small so I can't tell much. From the crown position, if you do have a true tuning fork Accutron, the movement would be a 218, 219 or 224. Accutrons with a 214 movement do not have a crown on the side. Does it hum when put to your ear? If so, it is a tuning fork Accutron. The second hand should sweep smoothly. With a quartz movement, the second hand will jump each second.

To learn more about your watch and Accutrons, spend some time reading threads here. Others with more experience will chime in. If you can post larger pics, including one of the back, it would be helpful. Also, on the back should be a date code consisting of a letter and a number. "M" is the 1960s and "N" is the 1970s. The number gives the specific year of the decade. Tuning fork Accutrons will only have date codes from "M0" through "N7".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Oliver and thanks for your response.

Apologies that the picture is small. I will photograph my small Accutron collection (2 actually) and submit to My Watchbox.

The watch certainly hums. A tad under F# if I'm not mistaken!

There are two markings on the back. One says N0, the other D30193.

The reason why I believe that the second hand is not misbehaving is that I have 'synced' it with my other Accutron, which incidentally loses about 5 seconds a day. I know this is outside of spec but am reluctant to tinker with it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hi Oliver and thanks for your response.

Apologies that the picture is small. I will photograph my small Accutron collection (2 actually) and submit to My Watchbox.

The watch certainly hums. A tad under F# if I'm not mistaken!

There are two markings on the back. One says N0, the other D30193.

The reason why I believe that the second hand is not misbehaving is that I have 'synced' it with my other Accutron, which incidentally loses about 5 seconds a day. I know this is outside of spec but am reluctant to tinker with it.
Well, you certainly do have a true tuning fork Accutron - 1970, Caliber 218 or 219 - can't tell for certain unless the back is removed and pictured. A 219 has a bit of black plastic on the movement and a coil on only one side. The other number is a serial number and doesn't really mean much. Not certain about the minute hand issue. I use a buy in Bulgaria for my repairs. PM me if you wish his contact info. Others may have more local folks they can recommend.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Nice watch! That dial is one of my favorites. It was produced in several different colors and case styles over several years. The movements were marked 218 or 2180 and from the 1970 date, we can assume that your movement will be marked 2180. The basic 219 wasn't introduced until later. The oldest I have seen was marked M2 and I have not seen a 219 with that dial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I was a little hasty with my observations.

Upon further study, this Accutron is gaining 2 minutes or so each day. Clearly the problem is more serious than fine setting of the adjusters and as it is gaining I assume that it is not a friction issue.

Can any of you guys hazard a guess at where the problem is?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Maybe I was a little hasty with my observations.

Upon further study, this Accutron is gaining 2 minutes or so each day. Clearly the problem is more serious than fine setting of the adjusters and as it is gaining I assume that it is not a friction issue.

Can any of you guys hazard a guess at where the problem is?
As said before, your Accutron needs serviced by a competent Accutron savvy watchmaker. My 218 Service Manual lists 6 things that can cause excessive gain or loss of time. The most probable being the indexing mechanism is out of adjustment. I had an Accuquartz that gained more than 1 hour/day. No parts needed, just cleaning and indexing. In the past, I believe this is where a lot of watchmakers screwed up if they really were not that familiar with the Accutron movement and only rarely got one in for service. Indexing is the proper adjustment and alignment of the index and pawl fingers to the teeth on the index wheel. Several critical alignments must be checked during the process of indexing, thus insuring the index wheel is advanced notch by notch for proper time keeping.

·
Registered
254 Posts
From personal experience it sounds like indexing mechanism issues. But, I didn't graduate from Accutron school by any means. I would check which battery is in it. I've had a 214 with a 344 run slightly fast because of the increased voltage. Not sure if it was phasing or the amplitude of the tuning fork oscillations. Try an Accucell and see if it slows. Then I would check the tension on the indexing and pawl fingers and make sure they aren't "floating" over a tooth every once and a while. If you do the math, ~2 minutes a day would translate to X number of teeth skipped.

(360Hz) x (120s) = 43,200 teeth

teeth/day = 360 x 60 x 60 x 24 = 31,104,000 teeth

Floating a tooth per day will yield 4 minutes gained, so it could be random. It might catch it about half the time if you have a problem (359.5), so I'd check the index and pawl fingers under a scope and check the gaps given in the Accutron PDF's.

Or you could send it to get serviced, but I like to play with these things!

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 218 giving me trouble, and I just can't figure it out. It's a problem with the date spring advancing the time... So, it shows how much I know...

Hope this helps!

-Johnny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts