WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Roger, I just joined this forum today and wanted to introduce myself vs. just start tossing out posts.

I am very active in another forum for a hobby of 10 years now...that hobby being the collecting, restoring and displaying of miniature/vintage toy and model steam engines. It stems from getting one as a kid which I still have 50 years later. I also collect small blackpowder cannons and mortars and to a small extent have a diecast construction model collection. As a friend summed it up...I am finally buying all the toys I didn't have as a kid now that children are raised and I am enjoying retirement.

I've gotten interested of late in manually wound and automatic wind wristwatches and pocket watches. Been doing a lot of cruising of the net for the past couple of months and as I type I'm wearing a basic Seiko 5 automatic day/date wristwatch which I quite enjoy...have wanted a Seiko for many years and finally did it...what was I waiting for, they don't cost all that much!!! Got mine new from Amazon for just $63...lot of heft for the money and the quality is outstanding.

I made a small $14 mistake (and that included postage!), ordering a lovely skeleton pocket watch of Chinese origin off eBay. It came, looked great, mesmerized me as I watched the movement move...then it died after 2 weeks of use. Very disappointed because it is externally a very nice watch, but QC must have been on break when this one went down the line. What did I learn? I do like seeing the inerds vs. just a dial and blank reverse...but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Soooooo, last nite I paid a bit more and "won" a lovely Hamilton 992-E Elinvar railroad pocket watch of the salesman case variety...ie: both front and rear bezels are glass, so you can see the entire movement doing it's thing just by turning it over. This should satisfy my desire to watch time pass by, with a beautiful, historical watch made in 1914...dang, nearly 100 years old!

Anyhow, enough blithering...I shall enjoy cruising this forum and hopefully the comraderie and info it offers.

Cheers,
IndianaRog
(from the great state of Indiana)

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
Hello Roger, and welcome to WTF.You're not alone here- many of us are multi-hobbied including myself (astronomy, chess, ham radio, shooting).

(I always get a kick out of those Chinese P/Ws on The Swamp. Why they think Americans have an over-obsessive fascination with skeleton dials is beyond me. But then, if does make it easier to distinguish between junk and the good stuff.)

Would you be kind enough to share photos of your pieces with us? I'd especially love to see that Hamilton! And, in return, we will be here for you 24/7 if you ever have questions or concerns about your or practically any pocket or wrist watch. Here's to hoping we hear from you again soon and often. The more you participate, the more you'll get back in return.

Regards!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
welcome to the boards, this is a great place and I have yet to find a better community of guys on the web. Alot of us here have other great hobbies, or intrest's, so the fact that you like something else like steam engines is great, maybe you should check out the Ball watches, they are from the golden train age, and really take on those design cues.

When I'm not here I'm out shooting registered sporting clays, or I'm out racing these

1 - 3 of 3 Posts