WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a new member and have just built up an interest in watch collecting. I am a college student so I do not have a big budget. Right now i'm looking to pick up a nice watch for roughly between 100-250 dollars. I have currently been eyeing this AX 1192 watch.
A|X Armani Exchange Watch, Men's Black Ion Plated Stainless Steel Bracelet 50mm AX1192 - A|X Armani Exchange - Jewelry & Watches - Macy's

I have heard negative things about Armani Exchange and I know it really isn't a real Armani Company so im not dead set on this idea. With my budget I know I can't afford many of the top quality brands but I am looking mostly for good style not a lifetime bulletproof guarantee, that being said I also don't want a watch that will Fall apart within a year and be a waste.

Could anyone speak to the quality or lack thereof of Armani Exchange, Emporio Armani, and Invicta watches? Also does anyone have a good suggestion to look at for my price point of 100-250$?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey, welcome. For that budget, I'd look at Seiko, Orient, Invicta, or Citizen. All of those brands are great values and have many choices of styles and movements. Have fun shopping :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Another vote for Seiko or Orient. They are the only true manufacturers that you've mentioned. Armani and Invicta are not in the same class, as neither actually manufactures anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!

Great, thank you everyone for your help so far. In addition do you have any recommendations on the best websites to buy from? Sometimes a website seems a little bit shady and that you may not be able to trust the seller.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would say citizen is a great fit for what you want/need. If you were wanting automatic in that price range orient would def. be the way to go. But dont count out the invictas just because a few people turn there noses at them, certain models get great reviews, and there are a lot of people that swear by them. Just my opinion!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Hi JR. Welcome to WTF. (Yes, we know about the initials. :001_rolleyes: :laugh:) There are lots of options if you buy a pre-owned watch from Christopher Ward, Hamilton, or Tissot. You'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor taking the advice given in this thread instead of purchasing one of the brands you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
JohnRoss, great suggestions given above. I'm new to watch collecting as well, and work with a limited budget due to having too many hobbies. On another forum I was told the same thing, "Hold off, save a bit more and look for a preowned, more expensive watch that someone is selling at a healthy discount." Glad I listened to them, and ended up with an ETA 2824 based movement instead of something cheaper.

Another tip - try and avoid the "bling" watches and purchase something with ageless class. They'll always stay in style while the loud bling watch won't.

Eric

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
X whatever on buying preowned. I don't think I will buy another watch new ever again. I have had great luck buying on enthusiast forums like this one, and be sure to check out the Topper preowned section. They don't normally have stuff down in your current budget, but there are some great deals in there when you have saved up a little more

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
New Seiko Monster, either black or orange. If you don't mind a non-hacking, non-manual winding automatic, you can find great deals on first generation Monsters now that the second generation has come out. Even if you want a second generation you can find a new one within your budget, and it would both hack and wind manually.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discount Watch, one of our sponsors, has great deals on Orients. They have some nice mechanical divers, with their own in-house movements in the $100-200 range.

Or, save up, as the others have said, for a Hamilton, Victorinox, Tissot, or Accutron which can be had in the $400 range at various reputable sites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really like Invicta, Android, Diesel watches. As a college guy, the Invictas and Androids will get you the most attention as they are big, bold watches. They are great ice breaker/conversation starters. Here are a few I have that will give you an idea. You can find plenty in your price range in Diesel, Android and Invicta. Be thrifty and look at many places. Usually the Invictas are more expensive in stores (except Sam's club and Costco). Online is the best way I have found to get a watch for a better price. Shop around alot once you find the watch you like. Good luck and welcome to the sickness;)
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Watch accessory
Watch Gauge Speedometer Clock Measuring instrument
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Watch accessory Clock

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have bought several watches from discount watch (one of our sponsors) an couldn't be more pleased with their service. I think you would be very well served by giving Orient a look. They are a real sleeper imho. And, they have watches in pretty much every style and movement type (quartz or auto if that even matters to you ). They also meet your criteria of not falling apart in a year. Mine are truly durable an keep great time. Other than some personal pet peeves about specific features on a particular watch, I really haven't seen any negatives about Orient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.