WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've bought about nine Invictas in the last six months from eBay and have been satisfied until now.

Friday I received a 5591 very poorly packed that wasn't running. I was immediately alarmed as I have never received an eBay watch in ten years that wasn't working. I set off to see if it was the battery and two jewelery spots did not have a wrench that would fit it. I have a really cheap tool and couldn't get the back to budge. Question #1: Are most or all Invictas screw backs? Any change of this being a press on?

The watch was listed as new with tags and came inside a large box the yellow case was sliding around in. The watch had NO tags and NO plastic wrappings and an invoice wasn't enclosed either. Bells went off and I immediately suspected this guy has bought store demos that were sitting in a warehouse and is passing them off as factory new. He said in his listing "no returns" which I assumed was to protect him from wishy-washy customers who don't like it in person. He defended himself by saying it was a 2010 model and the battery may be dead. His listing didn't mention that and I am not an Invicta expert. 8^)

Question #2: Is it more likely this is a battery problem or could the watch be damaged from sliding around? I'm surprised the post office excepted this package with the slipping and sliding when you turn or shake it. I would hate to take a partial pay for battery and the watch be damaged and I'm stuck.

This guy has been on eBay for ten years and his seller ID shows 3 transactions. Sounds like he changes IDs quite frequently. If you sell older watches you should list them as NWOT and be prepared to check to see if the battery is good. He thinks it's perfectly okay to send out non-functioning gear.

Please respond to the two questions as I have to make a decision quickly. Really love fashion watches and Invicta has it nailed.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Sorry about your trouble your experiencing.

1: All modern Invictas should have screw on case backs. I had to buy a special tool that expanded enough to handle some of mine.

2: It could be the battery or it could be an issue with the movement. Did the seller describe a working watch? If so then ask for a refund and if he/she refuse open a case. You don't want to get stuck with it if its not the battery.

Hope this helps. Let us know how things go.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems> IMO if it is listed as working and it isn't, file a case. The watch should not really be damaged by just sliding around and if it is then it is still the fault of the seller / shipper. You need to decide whether you want to try and get it working on your own or simply file a case to fight it out....
With Ebay and Paypal you do have some recourse, either way I suggest you acquire the proper tools to service batteries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I filed a case immediately. With the yellow box ping-ponging around and the watch not working I assumed the worst.

As I said his description was "new with tags" and that is what I was expecting. We have had a few exchanges and he said "others have had no problems with replacing the batteries". He knows he's sending out dated watches. This guy has been on eBay for seven years and had no telling how many IDs. This one had just 3 previous transactions. I have found that many times a new eBayer will let things go more cheaply to build a good rating and that's why I bought it from him.

Part of me is griped because he thinks he can do this and get away with it. I have bought a lot of watches from eBay and never really faced this particular situation. The idea that he feels he can just toss a demo watch devoid of tags and tape into a loose box is ridiculous to my point of view.

He has offered, through eBay, $25 for battery replacement, I suppose. I'm not so sure I want to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I wouldn't accept anything less than a full refund. What if its not the battery? Then you have to go back to him and he'll be even more difficult. Better to nip it in the bud and never do business with him again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess we did come to an "ending" not necessarily a happy one. On my fourth try no one would attempt to open this "humongous" I-Force case back. I was told to come back tomorrow with the "watch maker" gets their. My town is about 350K and you would think somebody has pulled a large case back before BUT nope: We don't have a wrench large enough. Goodness, people, get one.

Went home and pulled out my cheapie Chinese two-pronged case opener and had at it. I got it loose and was immediately underwhelmed at the enclosed movement. It was like 25% the size of the case. :scared: Got the battery number, 371, and headed to Radio Shack. They have nearly all of the batts on a display and I scored. Got the batt in and it's running fine. Wrote the guy I would take a paltry $20 for the battery and trouble--he had offered $25.

In my perfect world I would sell New Old Stock watches as NWOT and replace the battery for good measure. Not a great deal of money to add into the price and saves you the wrath of some malcontent such as myself.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Your not the only one who was underwhelmed by the size of the movement when they opened their first Invicta. :blink: It sounds like you have the same case back opener as I do, and now I actually prefer it over the three prong one I have. I experience less slipping with the two prongs. I'm glad it worked out.

Also, if your going to be opening up and replacing batteries get some lubricant for the gasket. It helps ensure a tight seal when closing the case back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts