WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide which watches I like better. As of now I have 3 Hamilton electrics (Taurus, Savitar II and a Pacer), 2 Accutron Spaceviews, 1 Accutron quartz, 2 Bulova Computron LED's and 2 Pulsar LED's (not to mention Tudor, Rolex, Vostok, Benrus, Omega and Seiko). The Hamilton's have style and a look that no other company has. I was attracted for that reason. I just bought another 505 to put in my Savitar II that came from a Buick watch. I like the idea of mixing the 2. The stylish car company with the watch. The other thing I really like is the lightning bolt second hand that came stock on the mechanism.

But now my question: how did you settle on collecting a particular brand or type of watch? I just can't bring myself to do that. I love it all too much.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
But now my question: how did you settle on collecting a particular brand or type of watch? I just can't bring myself to do that. I love it all too much.
well Mr T, I reckon it comes down to (1) Personality type, (2) Income and (3) Spousal pressure - or lack thereof.

Let me elaborate...

I have a hopelessly addictive personality. I know if I don't control it that it will control me. So I keep a grip by only buying vintage Hamiltons. I completely ignore all other brands because if I don't well, there would be even more little parcels arriving.

Income? Simple, the more you have the more you can spend.

Spousal pressure. Interesting to note how many collectors (inevitably guys) are scared of their wives knowing just how much they are spending on watches. Being furtive about the acquisitions seems to keep some control.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me at least I am addictive as well. So watches make a great match. I can carry my whole collection in the space of one speaker (hifi was my previous hobby and before that comic books) so my GF likes anything that takes up less space

My income is pretty limited. I am on SSI and not very much at all. But still I have found a way to afford watches by trading from my old hobbies and buying on the cheap. I love eBay and look for misspelled words all the time. Savitar was like that. I found every possible way to spell it that wasn't right (and there were a few). The one I bought was misspelled and identified incorrectly. Same with my Rolex Cellini. Anyway you can stretch your $$$ if you are patient and keep an eye out.

Finally my GF knows how much I am spending. It is better than what I used to spend on hifi. Sometimes reminding her how it USE to be with 12 pairs of speakers around and she is then happy with the watches. Oh and the watches are almost as liquid as money if you buy the right ones. My Tudors are like money in the bank, only I can wear them on my wrist and enjoy it much more than a wad of $$$.

Thanks for your thoughts and I am looking forward to other people's opinions as well.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Some wise words there Mr T....

I love eBay and look for misspelled words all the time. Savitar was like that. I found every possible way to spell it that wasn't right (and there were a few). The one I bought was misspelled and identified incorrectly.
Heck - I pretty much search for "Hamilton" and take it from there! Why chase one model when there's thousands of Hamiltons to choose from!

Anyway you can stretch your $$$ if you are patient and keep an eye out.
Very wise. Patience does reap rewards; I've only recently landed a few models that I had been seeking for three years. False economy though, I managed to buy well over one hundred other models while waiting....

Oh and the watches are almost as liquid as money if you buy the right ones.
Exactly. One of my collecting rules is, "You have to have something someone else wants". (Hey, it works for me!) Precisely why I started collecting Hamiltons in the first place. A big decision; the brand has no history in Australia (home base) and very little support; no ADs and extremely few 'old skool' watchmakers who know their way around under the hood. So why collect Hamiltons? Well, despite its woes, the USA is and will be "where the money is", far more than Australia so I figured if ever I had to liquidate the collection there would be a reasonable demand in the US.

And yes, collect well and know thy subject. That way you will be prepared when the inevitable bargain does appear from the vendor that doesn't know what they have. We all have one of those stories; mine is a $750 Piping Rock - at least $500 under market value. A colleague got a platinum Hamilton "Rutledge" for $100 or so - the vendor posted it with a low BIN and advertised it as stainless steel; easily a $1,500-2,000 watch.

It also helps to know what sells and, if possible, stick to solid gold models - although many would cry foul on the subject heck, if you REALLY need cash, the intrinsic value of the gold will always be available from the melters. No collector buys watches to melt them down - but what if your kid is ill; or if times get tough and you can't afford their school fees? Go figure.

Thanks for your thoughts and I am looking forward to other people's opinions as well.
Me too!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Hamilton has a unique style...a je ne sais quoi that I find attractive. I think I could have saved a fortune by collecting Bulova but they do not have the same intrinsic appeal to me. Many other brands have similar shapes and styles in any given era but Hamiltons seem to have "the look". I have considered trying to move upscale, perhaps adding a few vintage IWC or Pateks but that is clearly out of my price range. I have found a comfortable niche.

Audio and home theater was a huge and expensive hobby for me as well. I reached my limit with that hobby simply due to small size and practical limitations of my house. I think now my watch investment has exceeded my audio investment.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
My first two watches were a Gallet Multichron 12 and a Omega Constellation from the early 50's.

My first Hamilton was a K-407. I met two of this forums members through that purchase (Stales and Oldlyme). from that first Hamilton Purchase it's steadily gotten out of hand but I love the people as much as the watches.

Hamilton has everything you could love from a watch. If you want avante garde then the 50's asymetric electrics have it all.

if you want timeless style then the 30's Hamilton's have it in spades (and to an equal quality to some of the really schmick eurotrash).

If you want simplicity, ruggedness and easy wearing then everything from the early 70's on will fit the bill.

I collect Hamilton because I like everything about them. From the people who share my enthusiasm to the watches and their history.

SeanO

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
My first two watches were a Gallet Multichron 12 and a Omega Constellation from the early 50's.

My first Hamilton was a K-407. I met two of this forums members through that purchase (Stales and Oldlyme). from that first Hamilton Purchase it's steadily gotten out of hand but I love the people as much as the watches.

Hamilton has everything you could love from a watch. If you want avante garde then the 50's asymetric electrics have it all.

if you want timeless style then the 30's Hamilton's have it in spades (and to an equal quality to some of the really schmick eurotrash).

If you want simplicity, ruggedness and easy wearing then everything from the early 70's on will fit the bill.

I collect Hamilton because I like everything about them. From the people who share my enthusiasm to the watches and their history.

SeanO
Ah SeanO - remember the inaugural meeting of the (Aussie) West Coast K-407 Club? <<HERE>>

Say - whaddya doing on Tues 28th at lunch time? I'll be passing through Perth for the day - will bring the K-407!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
28 August 2012?

sounds like beer o'clock.

the usual place?

at the usual time (13:00)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.