WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Just got my first Gruen wrist watch. Still dont get all the info from gruenwristwatches.com.
Dont really understand how to read all the numbers and get the modelname och how much it is worth :/
If some one can help me.

Ok some info any way.

Inside it says: 500 in the down right corner (i guess thats the cal)
then the long serialnumber is: 335 87 and the last is 3 -6 or 8
switzerland and so on
On the top of it is says:
Seventeen
17jewels

on the back it says Gruen 10k gold filled
inside of that it says cased and timed in usa by gruenwatch co
and some more numbers
254/501

here are some pics
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7165/img2820q.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8223/img2821cj.jpg

sorry for my english im from sweden.
Best regards Tompa

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hi Tompa. Gruen makes some of my favorite vintage watches. Our friend C. Hurt is the best in the business for Gruen information, he is a regular on the American Watch Forum. He'll know more about this watch. It looks like a Swiss movement, I'd guess before they tried to move to America to make watches. Great condition. I'd estimate between $150 - $225 for price on it.

Welcome to WTF by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :)
I think is a swiss also (cased & timed in usa)

Hope for more info :)

Its working and in pretty good cond.
A friend to my family bought it in the 40s or 50s when she lived i the states.

·
Super Moderator
15,501 Posts
Hello, Tompa, and welcome.
I'm sorry I can't offer any info except that that's one nice-looking early Gruen, and congratulations on owning it! :thumbup1::thumbup1:(two thumbs up)

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
The 254 is the case# and the 501 is the movement/calibre#. According to Mike Barnett's production tables at the Gruen site, that movement was first used in production in 1936. One of the issues with Gruen is that all of the productions records were lost and the info that is available is the result of some very difficult searching thru old advertisements/letters/documents/individually owned watches & photos along with previous Gruen history books that were available. Some of those individual (like C. Hurt) are members here also and may chime in with their thoughts. If you post those pics at the Gruen site one of them might be able to identify the model name and actually narrow the production year down for you with the documentation they've collected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Signed up there yesterday but can't get in yet.

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will
need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail
when this has occurred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts