WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys - and maybe some gals! I just bought my second Rolex, a GMT Master 2, model 116713 LN, to add to my 1989 Submariner 16610. I have to say it makes the Sub look its age. The new bracelet is magnificent, as is the whole watch, which I totally adore. It's good to be able to talk to others who share my obsession with watches! I've been reading your posts for some time and had problems registering. Anyhow, here I am at last. I'm from England and love your Forums.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Welcome, and it's good to have another member from Old Blighty!

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Welcome to WTF and the Rolex Forum! :biggrin:

You've certainly got a pair of fantastic watches - very nice! :thumbup:

Let's see some photos!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, fellas

Good to be welcomed by two members! I will try to post pictures when I've figured out how to do it.

Can I start my forum membership with a touch of controversy? Much as I love my Sub, it was never as accurate as I'd hoped. Over two decades it has gradually speeded up and is now gaining around 7-10 seconds per day. I had it serviced and regulated in July this year and have the printout showing it SHOULD be bang on. If only!

I've asked 6 other Sub owners about this. All say the same; they love their watches but the Rollies give only an approximation of the correct time. My question is this - and I'm sorry if you veterans have discussed this to death already: why can brands such as Omega, Fortis and Oris, examples of which I currently own, all do much better as regards accuracy? Rolex makes beautiful, tough, long-lasting watches which never give up the ghost, even when neglected. So why, aparently, do they fail the accuracy test?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hi, Let me also extend a very warm welcome.:thumbup:

First lst me say congrats on a pair of fantastic watches.:001_tt1: The 116713 is a stunning reference with fantastic upgrades to an already storied model. Your 16610 is the classic Rolex dive watch made all the more special to many because of it's tritium dial. VERY well done!!:thumbup::thumbup:

As to the accuracy of your watch, a couple things if I may. Mechanical watches tend to preform differently for different people based on a number of factors. Our level of activity, how many hours a day the watch is worn, whether one wears the watch on the left or right wrist, etc.....

For me Rolex watches have a tendency to run a bit fast( the notable exception being my 116710). I've had several Rolex regulated and have found once properly regulated the watch can demonstrate superior accuracy. I think the key is to have the watch regulated for your wearing habits.

The reading one gets from a machine sometimes do not equate to how the watch will preform for you. My watchmaker that has serviced several vintage pieces( Rolex trained, parts account, etc.....) makes note of which wrist I wear my watch on (right) makes an adjustment and tells me to monitor the timing for a few days so adjustments can be made if necessary.

I have several vintage pieces (35 to 40 years old) that run within +1 to +2 seconds a day. My 16610 seems to run spot on, reguardless of position, after having been regulated in this manner.

Sometines we tend to confuse accuracy with consistency. A watch that is consistent is indeed a very accurate watch, if perhaps needing a bit of regulation for one's habits.

My experience, especially with the modern 3xxx fast beat movements, is that Rolex makes about the most consistent watch there is and can be regulated to amazing accuracy that unlike some will hold through very trying conditions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A big welcome Jaguar,

It is great to have another GMT lover on the block. Please show us some photos of the new gem. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome Jaguar Boy, we need to see these watches, it's really easy to do.
My personal preference for image hosting is photobucket.com as it is really easy to use.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
A warm welcome to you Jaguar Boy!!

Man, that GMT Master II would make me happy too! I currently have a Yacht Master PT / SS, Ref. 16622 and love it. :thumbup:

Hope to see pics of your watch soon. Welcome aboard again! (that's Yachty talk..):biggrin::biggrin:

Steve B.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gmt 2

:thumbup1:How kind of you all to send so many messages of welcome. I'd like to say how magnificent the GMT 2 is, both to look at and handle. It's so good looking I can hardly bear to stash it in its box. The Dragon tells me off for wearing it, as she thinks I'll damage it. She just doesn't understand! As I think I said before, it's a massive improvement on the 16610 Sub. I've a large wrist and although the GMT is technically the same size - 40mm - it feels and looks larger and sits much flatter on the wrist, lacking the characteristic Sub bulge which holds the old model higher.

The bracelet is also a vast improvement, though I have yet to fathom the expanding half link, as I think it's called. What surprises me is that the bracelet seems to be thinner than the old Sub one. I haven't done a careful measurement yet, but it certainly looks weedier, though this may be accounted for by the GMT 2 links having rounded edges. Perhaps some of you guys with both 16610 and GMT 2 could check this out.

Another difference between new and old is that the GMT 2 has much beefier crown-protection shoulders. It's an all-round beaut and I'm thinking of adding a SS model to the collection, assuming the Dragon doesn't shoot me!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rolex accuracy

Mike - thanks for the explanation about accuracy of mechanical watches. What you say makes a heap of sense, but although it's true my Sub is not always on my wrist, the same applies to my Speedmaster, to my Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonaut's Chronograph and my old hand-wind Oris, dating from 1958. You read that correctly! Of them all, the Oris actually keeps the best time and I honestly can't remember when it was last serviced. (The Sub is serviced every 5 years.):wink:

Now here's a question. Is it possible to remove surface scratches from gold bracelets? My new GMT 2 has one on the clasp area. I've read about Cape Cod cloths being OK for polished surfaces, but what can I use on gold, or should it be left to a professional jeweller?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello again, Rolex vets. I'd sure appreciate an answer to my question about removing scratches from gold bracelets. Is there a cloth to do this, or is it a professional job to do it right?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Welcome,

Great pair...As Mike stated, your Sub can be regulated better.

Tell your watchmaker that it is consistently 7-10 seconds fast per day and that you want it set to run 5 seconds slow on the machine.....

I have several Subs too, a non-date, non COSC that is within +1 sec each day, and some 16613's that all are within +3 seconds.

Enjoy your stay here..

:cool1:

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Mike - thanks for the explanation about accuracy of mechanical watches. What you say makes a heap of sense, but although it's true my Sub is not always on my wrist, the same applies to my Speedmaster, to my Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonaut's Chronograph and my old hand-wind Oris, dating from 1958. You read that correctly! Of them all, the Oris actually keeps the best time and I honestly can't remember when it was last serviced. (The Sub is serviced every 5 years.):wink:

Now here's a question. Is it possible to remove surface scratches from gold bracelets? My new GMT 2 has one on the clasp area. I've read about Cape Cod cloths being OK for polished surfaces, but what can I use on gold, or should it be left to a professional jeweller?
This article should answer your question:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/15.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rolex accuracy

Sorry if this disappoints you but my 14060M is the most accurate watch i have ever owned and that includes my 16233 Datejust. I set my 14060M by the World clock on October 31st 07 and today 49 days later it is exactly 10 seconds fast. By my reckoning that is less than 0.25 secs per day . This is not a mistake or an exaggeration. I am completely amazed at how accurate it is. And considering that it is not COSC certified and COSC specifications are -4/ + 6 secs per day this is even more amazing . I dont baby it at all and wear it every single day no matter what I am doing. Swimming..garden...painting..makes no difference. Off to hawaii on Saturday from Australia for 3 weeks..will let you know how it goes after surfing every day.
I am sure that a good Rolex qualified watchmaker can adjust it so it performs just as well as mine. How long since it has been back to an AD for an overhaul?
Knoffie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts