WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! My name is Adam and I'm a watch-a-holic. I am not a huge collector like most of you, maybe 1 watch every few years, but I try not to buy junk, and do the best I can to take care of them so they last.

So, to the point. I need (want) a new watch and would like y'alls opinion on what to get. My price point is about $500 and I am looking for something that I can wear with just about anything. From reading here, it looks like most of you suggest an automatic. I have never had one, but I am open to it. Basically I want something that has date (this is a must) and day of the week would be nice, but not a must. I am very simplistic, meaning, I am not a "big watch" person. I am not a fan of the watches with a very pronounced bezel. A bezel is ok, just not a huge one, like on the orange monster that I have seen so much of.

Here are a few of the watches I have worn. Excuse the guns, this pic was taken for another forum

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are thousands of watches out there. I would suggest looking at the what is on your wrist today pictures. When you see something you like, Google it and look at the entire collection. Of course some of these guys are wearing way over your price point but, in my opinion, finding something you like is half the fun. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Hello aperdue and welcome. Are you travelling east?
That Masonic Bulova is one heckuva great-looking watch!!! And don't worry about the .45....we have "a few" shooters here too- including myself and the owner of WTF! Judging by the checkered grips, may I assume it's a Colt?

You see a lot of autos here (watches, I mean) because we appreciate what it took to build them, and see them as wearable works of art and mechanical engineering marvels. We also know that they must periodically be taken to a watch repair shop for cleaning and oiling. This is hard to accept for some who have had quartz watches all their lives. If you're not quite ready for that inconvenience, as well as expense, it's okay to stick with quartz pieces. I have both.

Citizen- is Japan's oldest and #1 selling watch brand (my own opinion: they are also the most accurate). Too many models that meet your qualification to list here. Almost everything is quartz.
Seiko- virtually indestructable. Again, a vast selection. Mostly quartz. Seiko 5 watches are introductory-level mechanicals.
Tissot- 1 or 2 models, mechanical and quartz, that are multi-dress code
Hamilton- many possibilities, but really pushing the limit on your budget. Might have to shop around a bit to find something affordable.
Christopher Ward- Great choice for mech. and qtz., but just a date window...no day of the week.
Orient- Super affordable, mech. and quartz.

Please let me know if you have more questions, or I've mis-understood something. I'll be here all week (they lock my office door from the outside). :cursing:

Reactions: Watchin' You

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Welcome

For the Day/Date variation you'll should be looking at an ETA 2836 movement. It has what you're looking for with day/date. A lot can be had from 3 - 4 hundred dollars.

Check out "Gevril" their GV2 series is very much affordable and has very classy style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello aperdue and welcome. Are you travelling east? I have been known to be a light seeker :cool1:
That Masonic Bulova is one heckuva great-looking watch!!! And don't worry about the .45....we have "a few" shooters here too- including myself and the owner of WTF! Judging by the checkered grips, may I assume it's a Colt? Yep, 5" XSE

You see a lot of autos here (watches, I mean) because we appreciate what it took to build them, and see them as wearable works of art and mechanical engineering marvels. We also know that they must periodically be taken to a watch repair shop for cleaning and oiling. This is hard to accept for some who have had quartz watches all their lives. If you're not quite ready for that inconvenience, as well as expense, it's okay to stick with quartz pieces. I have both.

Citizen- is Japan's oldest and #1 selling watch brand (my own opinion: they are also the most accurate). Too many models that meet your qualification to list here. Almost everything is quartz.
Seiko- virtually indestructable. Again, a vast selection. Mostly quartz. Seiko 5 watches are introductory-level mechanicals.
Tissot- 1 or 2 models, mechanical and quartz, that are multi-dress code
Hamilton- many possibilities, but really pushing the limit on your budget. Might have to shop around a bit to find something affordable.
Christopher Ward- Great choice for mech. and qtz., but just a date window...no day of the week.
Orient- Super affordable, mech. and quartz.

Please let me know if you have more questions, or I've mis-understood something. I'll be here all week (they lock my office door from the outside). :cursing:
I have been looking at a few Tissot's. I have seen them in a couple local jewlers, but know nothing about them. Here are a few I have been looking at (watch images are not my own and used just for reference):

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Nice possibilities, Brother Adam!
I can tell you, from personal experience, that PRS-516 is a honey of a watch,
but the 30-and-older crowd may find it a bit large.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cleaning oiling?

Being that I come from the world of quartz, I am curious about the oiling and cleaning. About how much does it cost to have this done? I know you can't give an exact price as all places are different, but are we talking $40-50 or a couple hundred? Also about how often does it need to be done?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Good question!
Short answer- 5 years/$125
Long answer-MOST mechanical owners have it done every 5 years or so (5 is a pretty easy number to remember). You could go as long as 7, but keep in mind that the lubricants used do break-down over time, so I would rather be safe than sorry. If some stray dust particles found their way into the movement, 7 years is a long time for them to be in there causing havoc with your gear train!

Now for money. As you have inferred, 25 different repairmen will give you 25 different quotes. I can only tell you what I do.
I play it safe and plan on $125 per watch. But last time out, I got lucky and was only charged $87 for a simple clean-and-oil on a manual-wind Gruen. Then again, I've been using this guy exclusively for 4 years. I also buy my straps and bracelets from him.
Once the repairman realizes he has a repeat-customer, he may be inclined to give you a break on his prices.

Quartz watches are not immune from servicing either. If you have a really nice one (for me it would be a Citizen A-T Skyhawk and a day/date from Edouard Lauzieres) you might want to have the electronic stuff tested occasionally (voltage regulator, stepper motor, things like that). Especially if it is running faster or slower than you think it should. Sorry...I have not needed this done yet so I have no clue as to what I would be charged to have it done. But it is something I keep in the back of what's left of my mind.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well Brother, you've received some good advice so far. I'd look for a vintage Seiko diver, or a vintage Omega Seamaster (The dress watch not the diver).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, my wife has increased my budget (its my Christmas present) to around $1000.
I took a look at the Tissot PRC200 Auto Chrono (The first watch shown in my previous post) and really liked it, but can't find any reviews on the C01.211 movement.
I also love the look of the Christopher Ward C60's, but they look like they are going to be a little too big for my tastes. Anyone have any suggestions for something like it that is a little smaller?
I have also looked at a couple Hamilton Auto Chron's and liked them also. This is so hard!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
omega.015.jpg

Hi,
here is my tip for You; one of the most popular and collectible waches. I tried to buy one for my collection but for now I can't affort it....for now.
The most important is to buy wach that you really like. Choose smart and wish you all the best.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
I have been looking at a few Tissot's. I have seen them in a couple local jewlers, but know nothing about them. Here are a few I have been looking at (watch images are not my own and used just for reference):

have you looked at a tissot? :lol::lol::lol::lol: amazing watches man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts