WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, don't know much about watches but I'm looking to get a new one. I have my eye on a hugo boss watch in two different color schemes.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle

Nothing special, but i'm just looking for a nice looking, simple watch. My question is does anybody know if these are any good? The website doesn't have much information on them, all it says is:
"Curved stainless steel
Stainless steel strap
Silver dial
Ultra-slim case
Water resistant to 3 ATM"

Aside from that I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the second hand would move in a sweeping motion or in a clear ticking motion? Also if anybody could recommend watches looking similar to these with a sweeping second hand and that have a nice lume that would be great (under or around $500)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
From the picture, neither of these has a second hand, but you can be 99.999% sure it will jump as it has a quartz movement.

Only one quartz watch line has a smooth second hand, the Bulova Precisionist - and you should really check them out, as they deliver most everything you want in your budget.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
tc is correct- the Hugo Boss uses a quartz movement, so the second hand will jump from second to second. Is it good? The movement is okay (probably Japanese) but the quality of the bracelet and case are wild cards. As with all fashion watches, you run the risk of the watch looking a lot better than it feels.

The Precisionist doesn't really have a smooth sweeping second hand. Under a 5X magnifying lens I can see mine making something like 16 tiny moves each second. To the naked eye it just seems smooth.

Aside from the Precisionist (generally referred to as an auto-quartz watch) any manual wind or automatic mechanical watch will give you the sweeping second hand you are looking for. Go to the Tissot website and check out their T-Classic Collection. Some come very close to your Hugo, they are manufactured as well as assembled in Switzerland, and you should be able to find something in the neighborhood of $500. If you're willing to accept a model from last year, you may even get close to $400.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hugo Boss make good clothes, I personally avoid watches like Armani etc. even thou they are not made by the company I still think there are better watches to be had. Stick around on this forum and you will certainly find a better alternative. My personal favourite based on price and reliability is the Seiko :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
invicta pro diver 9937

mungo,

i sold my omega seamaster yesterday and ordered a new invicta 9937 (pro diver/ looks just like a rolex sub)
my omega was a wedding gift from the wife.. but anyways,

i chose the 9937 because it's got all the things that you want to look for in a high end watch. strong, sturdy body,
great looks, water resistance, and of course a good movement.

the 9937 has a swiss made movement i think it was called a 2824 or something.. 25 jewels and once the watch is broken
in, it will gain about 6 seconds a month.. truly not bad for a $300 watch.

i literally ordered one on amazon.com yesterday with 2 day shipping.. total; $307.00. It arrives tomorrow.. but i encourage
you do some research, and not buy a watch from a clothing company.

there are plenty of watch companies out there that make a watch at the price range you're looking for.
I would also recommend the seiko 5.. good luck! i'll post pix of my new watch tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are two versions of the 9937. One C and one OB. I think the C's movement is an ETA 2824-2, and the OB have a SW200.
However, 2824-2 and SW200 are the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
....However, 2824-2 and SW200 are the same thing.
Just to clarify for those not that familiar with details like movement identification, the 2824-2 is manufactured by ETA and the
SW200 is manufactured by Sellita. But other than that, yes, the SW200 is a clone of the 2824-2.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
The ETA 2836-2 is good movement and I have one in my Tissot PRS-516. But I find the SW200 (mine, anyway) to be a few seconds/day more accurate. (Both the watches were purchased NIB less than 3 years ago.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions, they really do fit exactly what i want. Ive been searching and ive decided it is between the tissot t-tempo, invicta 9937, and christopher ward c20. Does anyone have any input on any of those? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Invicta is hit-or-miss. I own:

a basic Pro Diver (Miyota automatic movt.)
a Reserve Pro Diver (Sellita SW200 auto movt.)
a quartz Speedway II chronograph.

And while none have given me ANY problems so far, they are admittedly less than 5 years old. The PD and Speedy are write-offs. Not really that expensive. But if the ReservePD developed trouble, I would never send it back to Invicta- I would rather have my local guy take care of it.

I trust my local guy and have instant reliable access to him...two things which have generated horror stories from some former Invicta owners.

FWIW my next new watch would be a Christopher Ward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Ever since I've seen it i can't stop thinking about the Tissot t-tempo.

Haven't decided on the style I'm going for yet, but I just love this watch. A few questions:

Size Gent
Case material Stainless Steel
Water resistance 10 bar (100 m / 330 ft)
Glass material Sapphire Crystal
Dial color Black
Dial type Index
Bracelet material Stainless Steel
Bracelet color Grey
Movement caliber 2824-2
Movement type Automatic Mechanical
Given that information I was wondering

1. Will this be a durable enough watch to wear every day? My old seiko got really scratched up on the face in no time, i'm a clumsy, active person.
2. Given that water resistance I can shower/swim in this watch?
3. Again still trying to learn here, I've read that some automatics can be wound and some can't? Will I be able to wind this watch to get it going?

Thanks again for all the help

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
1. Will this be a durable enough watch to wear every day? My old seiko got really scratched up on the face in no time, i'm a clumsy, active person.
Yes.... mostly. The sapphire crystal is more scratch resistant than the glass crystal that your Seiko probably had. Dings & scratches in the stainless steel are possible though.

2. Given that water resistance I can shower/swim in this watch?
Swim: yes. Shower: mmmmmm, probably not. While many people do wear their watch in the shower and even hot tub, you're risking potential damage from water getting inside. Heat makes things expand. Some things expand at different rates. This could nullify the water resistance rating. No big deal to take your watch off for that short time.

3. Again still trying to learn here, I've read that some automatics can be wound and some can't? Will I be able to wind this watch to get it going?
Yes, you can hand wind the 2824. If there's a display back, check to see if the rotor spins while you're twisting the crown. Don't remember what that signifies, just remember that it can happen.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
... If there's a display back, check to see if the rotor spins while you're twisting the crown. Don't remember what that signifies, just remember that it can happen.
On a Tissot, the rotor probably won't spin while you wind it. I believe it's just an idiosyncrasy of certain low-cost movements. The rotor spins when I wind my Swatch automatic, but not with my Tissot (ETA 2836-2) or Ball (ETA 2824-2)
or Invicta Reserve (Sellita SW200).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.