WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bid on this watch in a moment of weakness - and won. It arrived yesterday, though I haven't had time to take photos. But the fit and finish is very nice. Actually surprising considering it's China-made.
The retrograde is very cool and fun. Great way to have a cool complication without spending killer dollars.

I'll write a review in a while since I'm not convinced the watch will be durable.

Romilly Gents Cousteau Automatic Retrograde Seconds Black Leather Strap/Blue-Silver Dial

A beautiful design intermingled with revolutionary function; that's what the Romilly watch line is all about. The radiating guilloché grooves of the metallic blue dial are elegant in themselves. Above rests a prominent date window, but then your eyes are quickly drawn to the southern portion of the dial with two odd half circles with hands that sweep to the left before they 'flyback' back to the right. There's no need to fret, as this is simply an innovative method for seconds to tick by, 0 to 30 and then 30 to 60. A golden stainless steel case and a textured leather strap doesn't hurt either to create this incredible watch for the senses.

Note: After the 31st, the date mechanism will continue to run through until it reaches '39'. To correct this, you will need to advance the window until it reaches '01' again.

-Movement-
Automatic T7-1 movement w/ 35 jewels

-Case-
44.5mm x 16.5mm stainless steel case
Screw-down crown
Curved mineral crystal
Exhibition back w/ Côtes de Genève rotor
Water resistant up to 10 ATM
Lug screw attachments

-Dial-
Tachymeter chapter ring
Big date window
Dual retrograde seconds indicators

-Band-
200mm x 20mm genuine stitched leather strap

-Warranty-
One year limited manufacturer's warranty

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Good luck with that.

I've never heard of any watch that runs all the way to the date 39.

Is that Chinese time? :D

That reminds me of the amplifier in "This is Spinal Tap" on which the volume knob goes all the way to 11.

What are those sub-dials for?

Seriously, it's a good looking watch.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
So this watch has 2 different "seconds" counters?
The first being the standard sweep hand and the second being the 2 fan shaped seconds subdials?

It seems that in the picture that the standard seconds hand shows 28 secs. while the subdial seconds shows 11 seconds.:confused1:

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
The first being the standard sweep hand and the second being the 2 fan shaped seconds subdials?

It seems that in the picture that the standard seconds hand shows 28 secs. while the subdial seconds shows 11 seconds.:confused1:
Reminds me of the 3 Stooges telling time. What time is it? Look at one, subtract from the other, add from the next, and multiply by the final. Or just look at the one on the other arm. :cool1: :001_tongue: :cool1:

·
Banned
9,123 Posts

Reminds me of the 3 Stooges telling time. What time is it? Look at one, subtract from the other, add from the next, and multiply by the final. Or just look at the one on the other arm. :cool1: :001_tt2: :cool1:

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
nice looking watch. "A Golden stainless steel case" ??? what's that about?
Why does it need the large sweep seconds hand if it has the 2 flyback seconds hands? (Can it be used as a stopwatch)?
Interesting design, and of course, I can't help love the blue dial.
Enjoy it - hope it lasts longer than you think it will.:001_smile:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Might be the same movement. Wonder if there is a date wheel hidden on mine?
Must be the new Chinese way to count seconds.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I was just about to say the same thing Max!
Looks like my $10 Attivo watch with the addition
of the date. On mine, however, the sweep seconds
hand is perfectly synced with the time on the fly-back
seconds scale.

Hey Max, I stole these pics of yours from our archived forum! :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bottom sub dial (right) shows 30 minute intervals - then snaps back. The subdial (left) shows one minute intervals and snaps back to zero
I think.
I haven't really had time to play with the silly thing.
Did you notice the tachymeter?
LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Had I read the material you posted, I would have known that without having to ask.

"...then your eyes are quickly drawn to the southern portion of the dial with two odd half circles with hands that sweep to the left before they 'flyback' back to the right. There's no need to fret, as this is simply an innovative method for seconds to tick by, 0 to 30 and then 30 to 60."

http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showpost.php?p=10116&postcount=1

So, essentially, you have three second-hands, two of which measure the same thing that the sweep second-hand measures and a tachymeter that is, well, marginally useful.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

There are a lot of watches out there that have features and scales that are of dubious value.

I know a pilot who has a Seiko pilots' watch with so many numbers on it, you'd think you could chart a course to Mars with it. The owner has no idea how to work the watch, the instruments in his plane do all that for him. I served on a grand jury with a pilot who had a Citizen pilots' watch, who said exactly the same thing.

There are no circumstances under which I give a rat's patootie what the moon phase is and I certainly don't need that information on my wristwatch, although I do have a radio-controlled, WWV-referenced alarm clock with inside and outside thermometers that does tell me the moon phase and I still couldn't care less.

As for tachymeters on chronographs, they are pretty much useless, although I guess they hearken back to a bygone era. I'm one of those people who does use his chronographs to measure elapsed time, although most of the time, I just want to know when my laundry will be done or when my break will be over or if that traffic light at the corner is really longer than it was last week or if it's my imagination. I use my rotating bezels for pretty much the same things, except for more exact times like the traffic lights.

So, really, if the look and feel of the watch is good and if it keeps good time and lasts, who else is going to care how useful its whiz-bang features are, as long as you like it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
So, essentially, you have three second-hands, two of which measure the same thing that the sweep second-hand measures and a tachymeter that is, well, marginally useful.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

There are a lot of watches out there that have features and scales that are of dubious value.
The retrograde seconds fly-back scales are basically just for their beauty and artistic value. Look at how much $$$ people spend on watches with the tourbillion complication; just as useless of a complication in a wrist watch, but what a gorgeous complication to admire just for it's beauty and engineering marvel! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Note: After the 31st, the date mechanism will continue to run through until it reaches '39'. To correct this, you will need to advance the window until it reaches '01' again.
I was recently in Korea and I can't tell you how many times I saw watches in case with that date being 38, 37, 33, etc. This was as often the case on the knockoffs as the traditional Korean brands (I suppose this speaks to who is actually producing the knockoffs).

It seems like such an easy thing to fix, but the fact that they haven't fixed it really gives you come insight into these Chinese (and Korean) producer's and their marketplace's thinking. My guess is that they really don't care about the watch's longevity or correctness at all. Their only thought is to make it either look expensive or as close as possible to the brand they knockoff. They must assume that whomever bought it will be long gone by the time the month comes to an end. Or, and more importantly, that the buyer in the Asian marketplace ALSO only cares how it looks and doesn't care about the time as much as having the fashion accessory.

This is very different to the Swiss, German, & Japanese ethos and something that is a dividing line between the new oriental producers and the old guard.

When will the new oriental producers focus on correctness and quality making them direct competitors to the old guard? Is it when they decide to focus on a better watch? Or will they marketplace not allow them to do so because the buyers only want looks and the manufacturer can't be competitive if they spend money on quality?

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, this is just a toy. The retro grade thing is fun, but useless.As are most complications. I'd guess 95% of my watches are 3-hands with or without date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts