WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First Ball watch, first newbie questions:

It appears that my new watch has links that are secured by screws. I have to remove links to fit the watch to my wrist. How is that done?

My watch is a Hydrocarbon Chronograph, new right out of the box. The instructions say to wind the watch twenty or thirty turns to start it. After winding the watch, I can't get it to stay running. When I use the stopwatch function, the second hand will not progress more than sixty seconds and then stops. I get the impression that the watch is not winding properly. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

DJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello,

First Ball watch, first newbie questions:

It appears that my new watch has links that are secured by screws. I have to remove links to fit the watch to my wrist. How is that done?

My watch is a Hydrocarbon Chronograph, new right out of the box. The instructions say to wind the watch twenty or thirty turns to start it. After winding the watch, I can't get it to stay running. When I use the stopwatch function, the second hand will not progress more than sixty seconds and then stops. I get the impression that the watch is not winding properly. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

DJ

Definitely a problem there, when you unscrew the crown and let it "pop" out (don't pull crown out to setting positions) you wind it forward 35-40 times (you can not over wind it so don't worry). If it is not running after 60 seconds of the chronograph being in use, the watch is broken! Return to the AD you bought it from. If it is not from an AD good luck. As far as the band goes, you need a small set of screwdrivers and it is recommended to use loctite to replace the screws with.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Broken? Aren't these watches tested before they leave the manufacturer? The watch is new in the box with all of the protective wrapping intact. I am so disappointed.

After winding the watch as the manufacturer directed and starting the stopwatch function, the second hand will not run past twelve o'clock. Secondly, I cannot get the watch to keep running. I'm thinking that the initial winding should keep the watch running for at least a few hours?

Might I be missing something here?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It sounds like you are not actually winding it. You get a little winding from moving it, but nothing from actually winding. Be sure you are pulled out to the right stop and turning the right direction

Personally, I would shake it around and start wearing it. The automatic winding is very efficient on these watches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello All,

I spoke to the Authorized Dealer from whom I purchased the watch. They agree that there is something amiss with the watch and have responded immediatly. Within an hour of my e-mail to them, I was speaking with a company official (after hours) who assured me that they would make things right. They are sending me the paperwork to send the watch back for servicing.

After the initial winding of twenty - thirty turns, the watch should run and the stopwatch function. This is not happening. I've wound the watch thoroughly, to no avail. While I am disappointed in my initial experience with a Ball watch, I am thus far very satisfied with the response from my Authorized Dealer who has promised to make things right.

Stand by for an update. By the way, a Ball Hydrocarbon Chronograph makes a stunning visual impression.

DJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello All,

I spoke to the Authorized Dealer from whom I purchased the watch. They agree that there is something amiss with the watch and have responded immediatly. Within an hour of my e-mail to them, I was speaking with a company official (after hours) who assured me that they would make things right. They are sending me the paperwork to send the watch back for servicing.

After the initial winding of twenty - thirty turns, the watch should run and the stopwatch function. This is not happening. I've wound the watch thoroughly, to no avail. While I am disappointed in my initial experience with a Ball watch, I am thus far very satisfied with the response from my Authorized Dealer who has promised to make things right.

Stand by for an update. By the way, a Ball Hydrocarbon Chronograph makes a stunning visual impression.

DJ
I am glad the AD is taking care of it! They are tested before they leave the factory, what happens between factory and your wrist is always a mystery. I wind my stock watches a minimum of once per month to try and avoid these type problems. Don't let this sour your outlook towards Ball--they are the best watch out there in my opinion.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

My watch was shipped to Ball in Florida. It arrived there this past Monday, the 6th. Do you have any idea as to how long Ball will have it? Also, is it repaired there, or sent to Switzerland? I haven't heard from them as of yet, and don't know whether I will. Will they contact me?

Thanks,

DJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike,

My watch was shipped to Ball in Florida. It arrived there this past Monday, the 6th. Do you have any idea as to how long Ball will have it? Also, is it repaired there, or sent to Switzerland? I haven't heard from them as of yet, and don't know whether I will. Will they contact me?

Thanks,

DJ
Sorry I was out of town all last week and did not check the forum, I can't tell you about your watch. The AD can call and find out if it is a USA fix or a Switzerland fix. Honestly, if it is a brand new purchase the AD should get you a new one if available. Best of luck to you, I have found Ball to have fabulous service with a few exceptions, but compared to other Swiss brands they have far exceeded the norm.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike and members,

Eight days after delivery to Ball in Florida, I have my watch back up and running. The service was prompt. The service that I received from the AD was excellent. Very responsive to my issue. I can't wait to size my watch band and to begin to enjoy it.

Talk to you soon.

DJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike and members,

Eight days after delivery to Ball in Florida, I have my watch back up and running. The service was prompt. The service that I received from the AD was excellent. Very responsive to my issue. I can't wait to size my watch band and to begin to enjoy it.

Talk to you soon.

DJ
Fantastic!! I am glad to hear both of those things!! Congrats and enjoy
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike and members,

Talk to you soon.

DJ
Glad to hear, I joined this forum as I'm planning on making a Ball Watch Purchase in the coming weeks / months and wanted to get a good look at them through other's eyes. Which is why I joined this forum tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.