WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this in the mail. Then I spent 4 hours sanding and polishing each link. I didn't take it to the finest polish, but I didn't want a mirror finish. This is actually my second Accuquartz, as I bought one from oliverb that is waiting on a donor movement/coil. Anyway, here it is. It was given as a 25 year service gift to an NBC camera/production man named Robert H. Pearson who died last year at the age of 92. I looked him up. I am not sure is the seller was an estate company or family or what, but I didn't ask.

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Beautiful watch and nice job! Congrats. I have that case and band with the hammered blue- green dial if you remember. Really like that black dial! Don't have an Accuquartz with a black dial. I now have 8.5 Accuquartz watches, counting the quartz converted one. :lol:

So, the Accuqartz you got from me needs a coil. Was wondering what ailed that one.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'm ignorant. i thought Accuquartz watches were a bit of a sad joke pretend Accutron movements. I've seen a few of them and like them but have resisted because I thought they were just Quartz movements trying to trade on Accutron glory. Are they any good?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The thing I like about Accuquartz watches is that use tuning forks to drive the movement and make the distinctive Accutron sound. In addition they can be purchased pretty economically and the ones I have are very accurate and trouble free. I only keep a battery in one at a time but I never have to reset any of them.
Oliverb is the real expert on Accuquartz watches so I will defer to him.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Skypilot got the important stuff. Bulova rated them to 1-3 minutes variation/year which was phenomenal for this type watch at that time. They were only marketed from 1972-1977, with most I have seen being between '73 & '74 it seems. Compared to the 218, they were produced in far fewer quantities. There was even a 100th Anniv. cased Accuquartz - really rare! The 224 caliber is based on the 218 but with the important difference of the quartz module used as described by Skypilot. The tuning fork frequency is also slightly higher than the 218. Regulation is quite different from other Accutrons. The weights on the tuning fork are only adjusted to get the tuning fork synced with the quartz crystal. Actual time keeping is adjusted by a series of six tiny screws in a resister pack. The presence or absence of screw(s) and where in the line of six positions, regulates the watch. I have experimented on one of mine to increase its accuracy with some positive results buy still need to learn more. To me, the Accuquartz represents the pinnacle of bulova's Accutron development as they battled the flood of quartz movement watches being marketed by the competition. It is not a cheapened movement as is the 219, and usually sold for a higher price. You must be careful because, just like 218 & 219 cased calibers, a replacement quartz movement may have been installed by Bulova or a watchmaker when the original movement no longer functioned. If the watch is the Day/Date version, this can easily be detected because replacement quartz movements only had two letter Days, while all other Accutrons, except for the 230 caliber, had three letter Days. If the watch is Date only, or neither, then you can only tell be the jumping second hand or seeing the movement.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Wow. Thanks!
They don't seem to have been popular with most collectors. The Accutron collecting craze seems to have started with the 214s then spread to the 218s. The other four calibers of Accutrons just haven't been popular with most collectors, especially, the 219s, 221s and 230s. Perhaps many, like yourself, thought the 224 was cheapened or unreliable like the others. Prices - at least asking prices - seem to have gone up some since last year but you can still score a nice one for less than $100. I can't afford to collect gold cases so I look for unusual case and dial designs. I also try to find ones in at least excellent condition. Bulova was electroplating their cases at this time and this type plating does not seem to hold up as well to wear and tear. Three of mine are GP but are in nice condition and unusual in at least case/dial design.

·
Banned
605 Posts
They don't seem to have been popular with most collectors. The Accutron collecting craze seems to have started with the 214s then spread to the 218s. The other four calibers of Accutrons just haven't been popular with most collectors, especially, the 219s, 221s and 230s. Perhaps many, like yourself, thought the 224 was cheapened or unreliable like the others. Prices - at least asking prices - seem to have gone up some since last year but you can still score a nice one for less than $100. I can't afford to collect gold cases so I look for unusual case and dial designs. I also try to find ones in at least excellent condition. Bulova was electroplating their cases at this time and this type plating does not seem to hold up as well to wear and tear. Three of mine are GP but are in nice condition and unusual in at least case/dial design.
Excellent. That's saved me years of heartache and $$$$. And yeah, I thought they were just cashing in on their brand and becoming modern, because they seemed cheap and everyones obsession with 214s and to a lesser extent 218s :thumbup1: I too can't do really expensive watches, def not solid gold, so I too look for interesting case and dial foremost. I quite like some later series I've seen and yeah they can be cheap. I just might save a little fleaby search for them.....and then check it five times a day for new ones to very possibly want to buy :crying:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Excellent. That's saved me years of heartache and $$$$. And yeah, I thought they were just cashing in on their brand and becoming modern, because they seemed cheap and everyones obsession with 214s and to a lesser extent 218s :thumbup1: I too can't do really expensive watches, def not solid gold, so I too look for interesting case and dial foremost. I quite like some later series I've seen and yeah they can be cheap. I just might save a little fleaby search for them.....and then check it five times a day for new ones to very possibly want to buy :crying:
Sounds like a plan! You will enjoy the Accquartz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.