WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
In the past I've typically purchased, Seiko, Casio, or lower end Citizen & Bulova. Lately I've been really considering purchasing a watch/watches in the $1,200 to $1,800 range, bit of step up then what I'm used too.

Does anyone have any recommendations or solid brands which they have had great experiences with? any brands you would suggest to stay away from?

Any feedback is appreciated :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
15,503 Posts
Christopher Ward, Tissot, Ball or Oris are all good next-step-up brands.

You don't say if this watch has to be brand new, but if you're willing to consider a gently-used watch, you can take 3 steps up and explore the mid-range luxury market.
For example, I picked this up at in Toronto jewelry store for $750(USD).

Reactions: diver

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Vintage is an option, you just have to do your homework. One advantage of vintage is that for $1200 or less you can get a 14K gold watch with an adjusted movement. For instance, as an Elgin collector, I could pick up 3 minty 14k gold watches and have them serviced for $1200.

In terms of modern watches, there are so many great mid-level brands that you have a great number of choices.

For instance, Tissot has a number of watches with their 80 hour power reserve.

Frederique Constant has a number of designs that feature their in house caliber that you can find on the grey market in your price range.

Christopher Ward, as Comet Hunter noted, also has several in house movements, and they often run sales--just need patience.

Then there is Hamilton, Oris, Mido, Victorinox... And having concentrated on vintage watches, I'm sure I'm not even thinking of several brands.

My two cents would be to find an in house caliber if possible

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have been satisfied with Seiko, why not look at the premium brands they offer? I have been following Credor on Ebay and have discovered a number of sensational values. This beauty didn't appear to have ever been worn and was only $1100. it runs 3 sec fast per day, well within COSC standards. If your not familiar with Credor it's Seiko's top o' the line brand and has offerings all the way up to $450000. It is only now being seen in limited offerings in the states . Previously only available in Japan and is nearly a secret in the world of horology.

·
Super Moderator
15,503 Posts
Frederique Constant....for some reason I keep forgetting about that one! :thumbup1::lol:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
You don't say what size you prefer, so it's hard to make blanket recommendations. There's one or two vintage Omegas from the late 60's that have fairly modern designs and can be easily had in mint condition within your budget - one is 35 mm across with a day & date window, the other os 40 mm across with a single button stopwatch feature. What size do you like?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think there are some offerings from Oris which would fit into the budget, as well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :thumbup1:

My preferred size ulackfocus is 34mm give or take. I'll be sure to look into the brands recommended! :w00t:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts