WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Some of you may be aware from an old post I made that I had out debated a good friend in defense of Omega.

Well apparently, I did such a good job, that he’s asked me to help him value 2 vintage Omega’s being offered to him.

They’re circa 60’s & 70’s respectively. Both are Constellations and both are solid gold. The 70’s model has a MOP dial. Aside from that, the current owner is not familiar with the movements and hasn’t provided any useful information worth mentioning.

My friend would like to know more about these models, whether one is more desirable than the other, and lastly, the haggling price as well as the fair price.

I know the experts here would like the case opened for inspection, but that would presume that one or both of these models are worth pursuing/negotiating for at this point. This is the aim of this thread.

I hope you can help out.

Paolo

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Well my friend

Vintage is not my ballgame but both Gee Jaay and Sam are experts here so I'll leave you or indeed your friend in their capable hands and counsel.

Both watches look lovely and that's coming from a non-vintage guy!!

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Two beautiful Connies your friend has there.
But I am afraid they aren't solid gold as you mentioned, they are both gold capped.
A very thin layer of gold upon a steel case.
Solid gold Connies have a all gold back case for example.

From the pictures both dials look original.

The first Connie, the date, is powered by the 5xx manufacterer Omega movement.
My guess is that the 564(introduced in 1966) is inside.
A wonderful movement, very tough..:thumbup1:

The second Connie, the day-date, is probably powered by the 751 movement(introduced in 1967), also a excellent workhorse.

So both are from the 60's, the first one is the (now) more collectable one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh..

Ok. Haggling price? Fair market price? Is it kosher to discuss that? PM?

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Oh...forgot the prices....:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Overall condition of both: fine
Serviced:????

So the priced would be:

The first one about $300-$450

The second one about $250-$350

Those would be fair prices IMHO when I look at the not too sharp pictures..;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those would be fair prices IMHO when I look at the not too sharp pictures..
Re the poor pictures, I know..iphone, would you believe it? Probably the person using the instrument at fault in this case.:huh:

Never serviced/repaired according to the present owner. I'm presuming the high figure in your estimate is the absolute max price, flawless condition. Low price, so-so condition.

Also, those are the fair haggling prices, correct? Not the selling price.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
The prices I mentioned are fair trading prices.

Pieces like this in excellent condition, serviced and with box and papers are much higher I am afraid.
But boxes and papers with a vintage watch is almost impossible.

Why doesn't your friend look for these Connies on Ebay?
Then he also gets a feeling about the prices of these vintage timepieces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The prices I mentioned are fair trading prices.

Pieces like this in excellent condition, serviced and with box and papers are much higher I am afraid.
But boxes and papers with a vintage watch is almost impossible.

Why doesn't your friend look for these Connies on Ebay?
Then he also gets a feeling about the prices of these vintage timepieces.
It may be my fault when I quoted from a post that said that papers and boxes aren't as essential when it comes to vintage models. I asked about those, they aren't included.

I'm a victim of my own success. I actually convinced him I knew something about Omegas, thus my thread. He thinks I'm a brave fool, dabbling in ebay. I was the only person he could ask about Omegas.

But while we're on the subject, yes, I do "watch this item" when it comes to vintage Omegas. However, one of the first watch threads I ever read told me to stay away from them, especially the ones with shills. What is your opinion on the big vintage sellers, the ones that use an italic format in their prices?

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Well, if you know what your are buying ''The Bay'' can be a fun place, and there still are treasures to be found there.

BUT...

There are loads of fakes/re-dials/franckenwatches out there..so be careful and ask questions...;)

And most watches on ''The bay'' need a service so a good watchmaker near your house would be a good idea as well..:D:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to sound so green, but they claim the "movement is clean", "just been serviced/overhauled" etc.

What actually throws me off (as an obvious newbie) is, "refinished/refurbished dial" and "replacement crystal". An early lesson I learned in the forums.

I don't think I'm ready to jump in the vintage waters of ebay just yet, and I didn't imagine I would come this close to a great vintage Omega. This was very exciting and I'll be paying closer attention to the vintage threads and posts from now on.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
A crystal change is not a thing to be worried about unless it is changed with a non-Omega crystal...;)

A re-dial is a turn off for collectors or purists, but if you are going to actually wear is as a daily watch there is nothin wrong with a refurbished dial IMHO

Sometimes dials are that damaged that the only way to go is a re-dial, good for a wearer, not for a collector or purist.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
See what'd I tell ya Mr SP.

Gee Jaay knoweth his Connies and indeed his " Oldies " :lol::lol::lol:

:thumbup1:

You both seem to have struck up a very nice discussion there :thumbup:

Say Gee Jaay

I like them as I said but really the thought of going back to the future doesn't quite grab me as much. For one, I like bigger dials. These things usually turn out to be around 38mm which is a bit girlish at worst, boyish at best for me. :001_rolleyes:

The case of the 60s model is very elegant and the ornate features of the markers and date window surround are indeed very attractive. The 70s watch has greater functionality - at least I'll always know what day of the week I'm in!!! :D:D:D I also like the patterned dial which I believe came from around the 70s onwards. I don't think it's a Guilloche dial. The case is beginning to tend towards the 70s large case style though thankfully, this is still kept under some degree of restraint as compared with the Flightmasters and Speedy " Mark " versions of this world.

Y'all have a nice day pals

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Yep, you are correct, these vintage babies are smaller then most modern watches.

That is just what I like when I strap a vintage Connie (for example) on my wrist...

Almost no weight, no crown into my wrist, pure comfort...:thumbup1:
Just look at the design...:001_wub:

BTW, still haven't found the perfect strap for this one...:blush:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Yes that's true Gee Jaay

These things were almost weightless and thin as well. That was the fashion in those days I suppose.

Hey I was saying in anudder thread that I saw a De Ville Co-Axial Chronoscope on Monday. Man was it a beauty. In fact the Rattrapante is even more appealing. My champagne tastes again.

Be well pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Wanna bet your 145.012 amigo?

If you win, you keep it.

When I win, you just send it to me

:lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like a great idea ;)

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
HA...nope HoustZin, no way I throw one of my watches into a bet..:001_tt2::001_tt2:

But I am sure the size of watches is going to get smaller again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re the poor pictures, I know..iphone, would you believe it? Probably the person using the instrument at fault in this case.:huh:

Never serviced/repaired according to the present owner. I'm presuming the high figure in your estimate is the absolute max price, flawless condition. Low price, so-so condition.

Also, those are the fair haggling prices, correct? Not the selling price.
I agree with GJ's assessment, but will add two clarifications.

Gold capped Omegas, particularly Connies, had a far thicker gold coating than anything you will see today. Most appear to be solid gold, and I have never handled one with any wear through (until you get to late 1970s models). Have seen some on Ebay that looked bad, though . . .

The 1960s Connie could easily be a few years older and have the non-quickset date version of the 564, the calibre 561 movement.

And by the way, the 550, 560 and 750 series movements are all the same base movement: non-date, date, day-date versions.

Sam

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Interesting Sam...:thumbup1:

Didn't know about the thicker gold plating in the 60's, learned something, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts