WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

I have inherited a Bullova Accutron Spaceview from my grandfather which i believe was never actually worn. If anyone could tell me what i have and give me a value for insurance purposes that would be great. Its not running at the moment as there is no battery in it so i am going to have it serviced and get it running again and it will go in a display case. I want to keep it more for sentimental value than to wear it as its the only thing i have from my grandfather.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood Material property Musical instrument accessory
Watch Clock Everyday carry Material property Analog watch
Analog watch Watch Clock Amber Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood Material property Musical instrument accessory
Watch Clock Everyday carry Material property Analog watch
Analog watch Watch Clock Amber Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi
That's a very nice Accutron Spaceview dated 1973 (N3). The price is always difficult to guess and prices do fluctuate if I was buying this I would probably pay $600. Ensure that you have it serviced by a reputable watch maker that's familiar with the brand.

Regards

Jake

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
That's a beautiful watch Radway, and I'm glad to read what you're going to do with it now (as in keeping it). As others have added below, and I agree wholeheartedly, you should wear the watch as well. My dad had a fabulous gold cased LeCoultre that I would've loved to have inherited and worn, but unfortunate circumstances intervened.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It is, of course, your watch to do with as you please but it's kind of a shame for one that nice to not be carefully used occasionally.
I wonder if, when you've had it serviced and heard it hum and seen the second hand sweep, you might reach the same conclusion.
As you have been cautioned, be sure to have it serviced by someone with experience with tuning fork watches.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Very nice, indeed! The battery you want is a 387s, the silver oxide replacement for the old mercury batteries that are no longer produced. You may find that it starts right up when the battery is installed. Sometimes a slight tap of the case side on the counter is needed to start the tuning fork vibrating. These watches run much longer between service intervals than do mechanical movement watches. In fact, Bulova generally didn't recommend service until the watch not longer ran properly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I too inherited the exact same watch from my grandfather. This is the one that got me addicted to Accutrons and now watches in general. As others have said, have it serviced by a reputable Accutron service person. I also agree with skypilot, it's too nice not to be worn. I wear mine on special occasions and get quite a few comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I took the watch to the shop where it was originally purchased in 73 yesterday and the owner (who is the son of the original owner of the store) was pretty excited to take a look at it. He said because the battery was taken out of it years ago it really shouldn't need any kind of service, he should be able to order me a new battery and it should hopefully start right up.

I think you guys are right i will definitely wear this on special occasions! The more you look at these watches the more you appreciated them really as pieces of art. I have found myself looking at the accutrons on ebay and other websites to maybe get one more to wear on a more regular basis!

On i side note he told me a story of when he was a child working for his dad and he remembers delivering a grandfather clock to my grandpas house which was kind of cool as my grandfather died when i was very young and i don't know a whole lot about him

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
For one to wear more regularly, select an Accutron with a stainless case. The SS case is much more tolerant to being knocked about and, if it has some light scratches on it when you get it, it can be polished to appear like new.

·
Registered
254 Posts
oliver is right. I have this same spaceview in SS, and I love it. I have a gold plated one similar and I suggest you take very good care of the case. That watch is actually pretty rare. I haven't seen the TV-style gold without integrated band before. I started to wonder if it existed. And to have one in that condition. I would keep it, and pay very close attention to the condition of the plated case. I would love to have one to match my SS someday

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I took the watch to the shop where it was originally purchased in 73 yesterday and the owner (who is the son of the original owner of the store) was pretty excited to take a look at it. He said because the battery was taken out of it years ago it really shouldn't need any kind of service, he should be able to order me a new battery and it should hopefully start right up.
Not necessarily so. If it's been sitting up for a long time the oils are old and and may be sticky/gummy. I recommend you service it. Also if you do service it I recommend you get it to a qualified Accutron Tech.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would anyone be able to recomend a good Accutron Tech that would be able to service my watch for me, im in canada and do not mind shipping it to have it done properly.

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I believe it is $150 for a basic service which is disassemble, clean, reassemble and retime. It includes new gaskets and battery. That is assuming it does not need any other parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.