WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Currently I am not a huge watch collector, I own a few watches but no real big names. I am looking for a watch that looks like the rolex submariner, The one I found that I liked for the price was the invicta 8926OB. The only problem I see with it is that I want to get a watch a little bigger. Most of my watches are 40mm so I want to try something a little different. Does anyone know of a good sub type watch that is around 43-45mm without crown? something that looks like the original? I have checked out other invicta models, but they are like very extreme. Either Huge, or if its not huge they add some crap I don't like , such as MOP etc. Any advice or info would be appreciated. I am not looking to spend a fortune because for the price of like 80 something dollars that invicta model looks like a good buy. If I could get something a little bigger without having to pay 100's more would be great.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Does anyone know of a good sub type watch that is around 43-45mm without crown? something that looks like the original?

The Rolex DSSD is 44mm, a very good Sub....not in the same price range as the Invicta though.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I can't think of anything that fits the bill in your price range. I'm not the guy to ask for homage recommendations either. However, if you look around you might find the Debaufre Ocean-1 at 42 mm. It might be under the Steinhart brand now. The Debaufre versions can still be found new for under $650, and there's probably a used one or two floating around. I think they even made a 44 mm version with one line printed in red on the dial.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yea, not a lot I can think of for under $100. There are several good "sub-like" watches in the size you're looking for, but most I can think of will run $250-400. Alpha is about the only other besides Invicta in that price point that has a 'true' Sub look-a-like..

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Orient has a couple models close to a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My $0.02 ...

If you want to be one of the anonymous sub-wearing horde, save up and get the real thing. Yes, I realize that's a lot of saving to do.

Otherwise, get something more "unique".

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
My $0.02 ...

If you want to be one of the anonymous sub-wearing horde, save up and get the real thing. Yes, I realize that's a lot of saving to do.

Otherwise, get something more "unique".
This is my opinion too. Even something more original and maybe not as unique, like a Seiko 5 mini-Monster. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I agree, save up a bit more and ave a look at some of the Seiko's, like a Seiko 5 or a a SKXo some description.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I actually bought 3 watches from amazon. They have free returns so if I don't like any I will just return it. One of them I got was the seiko 5 sport. Here is the video to it.

Seiko "5 Fathoms" SNZH59 with 7s36 Movement - YouTube

At first I didn't like the watch, but than it grew on me. Its like the sub but not really its got its own style that some people might like or hate.

I know invicta is crap quality, but I wear more for looks than anything. I rather buy an 80 dollar sub than a 500 sub because the 500 sub is more money but still not a rolex.. So if I am not going to buy a huge name, whats the point haha. maybe dumb logic.

but the two invictas I got were because i liked the look

They have an original sub clone that is 40mm I just enjoy the look of it, its coin edge and looks like the rolex, and I got their titanium sub , 0420 that is bigger with its own styling but still similar.

Best Regards

·
Registered
805 Posts
i sent orient an e-mail a few weeks back about getting a bezel and in the discussion with the contact person i was informed orient was purchased by a company and they will no longer be making a submariner type of watch. apparently they were told to stop making them even though they were great watches and sold well. they no longer have bezels but a few cases left. i lucked out by getting a snorkler last year--the submariner type with a sapphire crystal. bummer they are no longer making them. great watches. for watches in the 42-44mm that are inexpensive i would suggest seapro. they have miyota movements and can be found on the bay for around $150-175 or so and visually they seem to have sturdy bands. not sure on the lume though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
There are Sandoz subs available at a very affordable price point.

·
Registered
805 Posts
sandoz watches, the submariner types, are 40mm and both the hong kong and singapore versions claim to have eta movements. however, both are made in their respective locations and one cannot be that sure if the movements are legit. for the price they seem ok except one would expect a little better quality.

paladinX--at the bay, type in seapro watches. there are a couple there listed at $189 but the seller has frequently marked them down to $151 (he seems to do this on the weekend). they are 42mm and have a miyota movement. i would bet if you sent him a request for info he would mark them back down to $151 if you wave money under his nose. they are your typical submariner look a like except they have sword hands and not mercedes hands. the bands appear to be solid end links at 22mm. i suggest this as you mentioned your price range was close to the above prices. that said, if you want to spend around $600 i definitely would recommend debaufre. they sell watches in the 42 and 44mm widths.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found these military homage divers.. As far as the look itself what do you guys think? Or what do you prefer. I know its a quartz and the bracelet kind of looks crappy. I would wear it on a nato anyway most likely. But the face itself. Do you think it will turn out to look like junk. here are the links

[non-sponsor links removed. Please post direct pictures, not links to non-sponsor sites. ]

They are the perfect size I am looking for 43mm case and 22mm bracelet. and although they have the military logos, they aren't gaudy looking . like the larger invicta divers look really gaudy. I ended up returning their 0420 titanium diver. Looked like a soup bowl

·
Registered
520 Posts
You might be interested in a Sottomarino Lucciola, it looks like a lot of watch for the money. It isn't really a "Rolex copy", but has a similar "diver look", and sports a sapphire crystal (people here know this is VERY important to me), 100m water resistance, Japanese movement, and tritium tube luminescence. This model is often available on ebay for just over a hundred... and it's available in several dial colors.

I've been considering ordering one myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey man thanks for that link, I kind of like it. I have to check it out for sure. it has a few diff looks in one to me. It reminded me of the explorer, a diver, the black monster lol. I like it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might be interested in a Sottomarino Lucciola, it looks like a lot of watch for the money. It isn't really a "Rolex copy", but has a similar "diver look", and sports a sapphire crystal (people here know this is VERY important to me), 100m water resistance, Japanese movement, and tritium tube luminescence. This model is often available on ebay for just over a hundred... and it's available in several dial colors.

I've been considering ordering one myself.

Oh i found them on ebay they cost 110. Lots of nice features for that price. They have a 42 and a 46 version. Kind of a tough decision. I think 46 might be a little too big, I tried an invicta titanium diver that was 45 and i found it to be too gaudy. could have been the watch design and the huge lugs, but i dunno. I wish they made a 43 version. I think 43 is the perfect watch size. the watch is pretty nice, reminds me of like the invicta ghost or seiko monster mixed with a diver or something lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My other watch came, its a 42mm sub. I need opinions on this one for sure, because im stumped. I am not sure which one to keep. the 40mm 8926ob invicta, or the Croton CA301094SSBK

I like the size of the croton better, and i like the look of the invicta a little better. I know they are both ****ty watches, but I am not sure which is the better bang for the buck or better quality. The croton was really cheap, and it says it has saphire crystal.. I have no idea what movement is in there, I think it says japan 21 jewel.. It hacks, and u can wind it manually.

Here are some pics of them side by side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts