WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Need Help!

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Wojciechz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, my name is Wojciech, and I'm in possession of a pocket watch.
I'm interested in details of this watch and its history.
All the information I have is that:
- It has 18k gold warranty case
- It has split second hand
- It has moon-dail
- It has minute repeater
- It has calendar'' Leap Year Perpetual Cal''
- Case and movement number 2773
- There is no name on dial, but on mechanism there are indistinct words which I'm not sure about.
Please let me know any information that you have and might be helpful.
Here are the pictures of a watch:
Brown Watch Analog watch Clock Pocket watch
Gold Amber Body jewelry Wood Door handle
Watch Automotive lighting Automotive tire Amber Alloy wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Amber Alloy wheel Gold

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It all but matches this one. This is the info that is attached to the watch. This one was up for sale at an auction a couple years ago.

"Very Rare Gents Swiss Invicta pocket watch in a 18K gold plain hunter case, white enamel dial, roman numerals, triple calendar moon phase with indications for day, month, date and moon phase. Fine frosted gilt movement, striking on a gong, the dust cover with movement details and medals won by Invicta, circa 1900, case no 801266."

Watch Analog watch Pocket watch Clock Measuring instrument

#5 ·
It all but matches this one. This is the info that is attached to the watch. This one was up for sale at an auction a couple years ago.

"Very Rare Gents Swiss Invicta pocket watch in a 18K gold plain hunter case, white enamel dial, roman numerals, triple calendar moon phase with indications for day, month, date and moon phase. Fine frosted gilt movement, striking on a gong, the dust cover with movement details and medals won by Invicta, circa 1900, case no 801266."

View attachment 129345
From what I can see, This watch is not a full perpetual calendar, but an annual calendar

#7 ·
The watch has 3 engravings on its mechanism:

The first one let-most says: SLOW and FAST
View attachment 129425

The second one in the center indicates the case number- 2773
View attachment 129433

And after some research, I was able to read third engraving which says ''Charles JC Meylan Brassus''
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

And the last engraving, located on case of a watch says ''WARRANTED 18K'' and below that case number ''2773''
Circle Glass Plastic Metal Ball

#8 · (Edited)
That last bit of extra information opens a few doors. Charles Henri Meylan was one of a long line of the Meylan family who were watch-makers in Brassus, Switzerland from the late 1700's to the early 1900's. I believe their early family connections were with Isaac Piquet and Jean-Philippe Piquet (Piquet-Meylan). From what i could find, they were producers of many fine high end watch movements. I'm sure some of the 'historians' here can provide a bit more information. I believe the Kathleen Pritchard book "Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975" has a bit more information about their history.

This information comes courtesy of classicwatch.com on a CH Meylan watch they had for sale. "Founded 1878 in Le Brassus by Ch.H. Meylan. Charles-Henri Meylan is a highly esteemed and eminent watchmaker who worked in both Switzerland and America. He manufactured his own line of watches under the name C. H. Meylan, Brassus and also collaborated with the American Waltham Watch Co. Meylan held three American patents which protected his innovative repeater designs which were used in the rare Waltham repeaters. The original fitted box accompanies this ultra rare repeater which may very well be the smallest in existence from the 1890 time period. Several Meylans (a common Swiss name) made watches."

It's possible that this watch was imported into the USA by Mathez & Co. of New York as they appear to have been the sole USA importer for CH Meylan watch movements in the early 1900's.

I believe the name CH Meylon & Co existed until about 1952 when the name and the facilities were purchased by Baume & Mercier. My understanding is that B&M purchased the facilities & the name in order to begin manufacturing their own chronograph movements. I would guestimate the age of your particular pocket watch to be between 1890 - 1910. I wish i could tell you more but that's the limit of what i know or could find out. It is a beautiful piece!

#11 · (Edited)
Tell us the rest of the story. Is this a family piece? Did you find it at the bottom of a box of old watches? Does it run, keep time? This is the reason I watch (pun intended) this forum. The occasional mystery piece that shows up to amaze us all is worth the tedium of lesser offerings (my own included) Thank so much for sharing it!

#13 ·
The watch is fully working, it is in perfect condition, it keeps time, looks almost like new. I'm found myself in the possession of that watch after my grandfather. That watch is a beautiful piece and thanks to the people on that forum, I know a little bit more about its origin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.