WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked this Hamilton Electric RR Special 52 up at my job, and was just wondering if someone could help me with it. It doesn't seem to want to stay in the case right. It is very loose. I feel like the reason may be because it's missing this round piece that goes inside the case back, but am not sure:

I really want to wear this watch, but I don't want to damage it. So if someone could tell me if this is the reason it's loose inside the case, please let me know! If that's the case, I would also really like to know if or where I can buy the piece I need. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You should post a photo of the movement in the case. This watch should have a movement ring and I'm sure one of our electric guru's will be able to spot what's wrong right away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! It has the movement ring, but the movement and dial still are kind of loose in the case. Here are some more pictures of the watch:

·
Registered
96 Posts
In one of your photos, the spring is in the back cover and in another photo, it is missing.

The internal movement ring will prevent the movement from moving back and forth and keep pressure on the dial only if the round, wavy spring is installed in the back cover. When the cover is screwed on, the round, wavy spring (the one that sit under the tabs) pushes against the movement holder which then hold everything tightly in place.

If the round, wavy spring (which actually looks like a thin washer about the size of a quarter) is missing, I'm not sure where you can get a new one except from a parts watch. Does anyone know if parts houses sell such an item?

Still, a nice watch, and the gold/gold RR52 is the rarer of the three type of RR's.

-Chri

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That's what I was trying to describe. I've been on eBay all night looking for that part and looking at parts watches with no luck. If anyone has one on here, I will gladly pay for it! Just want to wear this watch. I read somewhere that there was less than 4,000 of these made, is that true?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
according to Rene there were 3700 of the RR52 made.

It's a sweet watch and I hope it's up and running soon.

:001_wub:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it was something like that. Thanks for the info! It's been running for a few days now, but is running fast. I think I'm probably just going to give up looking for the tension spring and throw it on eBay...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts