WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Lucerne jumping hours manual watch, supposedly from the 1970's. I bought this recently, supposedly never worn, but it hasn't been working correctly- it's been stopping dead repeatedly after only a few hours.

I'm wondering if I damaged it by turning the dial the wrong way when setting the time or when winding it. I'm also wondering if I damaged it by overwinding it (fyi, currently it feels tight in the clockwise direction, as if it won't go any further in that direction if I kept trying to wind it).

How easy is it to break a watch like this by overwinding or by changing the time in the wrong direction? Does anyone know which is the correct direction I should turn the dial when setting the time or winding it? If I did indeed damage it to some extent, is there any way I can undo the damage myself- some kind of trick for "unwinding" it or some such?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
An unworn watch which is that old (often referred to as "new old stock" )invariably needs a complete service upon purchase due to the many years of non-use.
Take it to a watch fixer!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just to second Foghorn, a watch that has been sitting that long almost certainly has its lubricants either dried up or congealed. In either case, the lubrication won't be doing its function. You'll need to have it overhauled. The watchmaker will disassemble it, clean each piece to remove dried lubricant, reapply the proper lubricant, and then build it back up. To a skilled technician, it doesn't take more than a few hours but they will probably want to hold on to it for a few days to ensure it is running and adjusted to hold time correctly.

Once you get it working, lets see some pics!

Cheers,
----B&V

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Agree....95% of the time if runs and stops it just needs a cleaning and lube....It will be good as new!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Agree....95% of the time if runs and stops it just needs a cleaning and lube....It will be good as new!
Watches like this should be serviced every five years or so. This is way past it. So I am sure things have gotten gummed up over time. Get this puppy freshened up and it should be good to go.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Casio: Where are you located? If you are in the New England area, I can recommend a place for you. If in the US, you can send it there. I have *not* used this place; but, my family has and do like the work they perform as well.

Some of the sponsors on the board may do this as well; but, I have to double check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts