WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I’m finally ready to step up to my first automatic movement and I’ve been searching for something in the sub $500 price range. I’ve been looking online and searching the forums and have somewhat narrowed my choices down to two. I am considering either the Accutron VX-200 series or maybe even a Victorinox Swiss Army Ambassador series. I like the “day” feature of the Ambassadors but if the Accutron is a better quality piece I could live without it. I am also still open to suggestions. I’ve been looking for a while now and even with all the research I’ve done there are still many brands or models I haven’t seen yet. My main criteria is Swiss made, SS w/metal band, skeleton back, nothing that looks too outrageous. Also I am not looking for any Invictas. Not that they aren’t good watches (I have a Speedy Reserve) but I don’t want to deal with any service issues, so I guess you could also say that CS is a factor for me as well. I read this forum all the time and it seems almost everyone here knows a great deal about what they are talking about, whether from personal experience or by reputation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking. :confused1:

-CY

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
In that price range for a new Swiss auto, you probably can't do better than Tissot or Hamilton. Both give high quality for the money. And both have models that suit a wide variety of tastes.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I would second the recommendation for Hamilton. You can find something in either line (American Classic or Khaki) with a Swiss auto in that price range.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Hamilton is a very good choice as was stated. Post your question in the Hamilton forum to get specific models and other advice to help you out.

BTW, Welcome to WTF!

·
Registered
472 Posts
so, that lived out couple sponsors in WTF.

What I have done was go after the gray market to get the bast price and features.

hamilton chrono with SS bracelet can be had for around $520 with 7750 movement. under $500 if using FW link..

its up to you if payinf few bucks extra for AD service is worth it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Hamilton recommendations:thumbup1:, I've done some brief research and their Khaki Navy line seems to fit the bill. Very nice looking watch too! Any other considerations out there?

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
welcome to WTF cc yancey! Sounds like you have some great suggestions. The Hamilton Khaki will be hard to beat for value and features in this pricepoint, and you get a good, solid watch and dealer network.

D Freemont is another company that comes to mind, might be worth taking a look at.

But I like the sportiness of the Khaki...it sounds like more of what you are looking for. I have even seen the GMT model with ETA 2893 at under 600 USD.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
In that price range for a new Swiss auto, you probably can't do better than Tissot or Hamilton. Both give high quality for the money. And both have models that suit a wide variety of tastes.
+1!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey I got one!!!

OK, after all the great recommendations from the members here I got a lucky break.:thumbup: I got a $100 Amazon gift cert for Xmas so I sprung for this...

Wenger Terra Graph Swiss Auto

Not bad for a hundred bucks outta pocket! It'll hold me over while I save up for something else.:cool1:

Thanks for all the help, if anything I figured out that there is no way to have only just one!

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
That looks really nice. Wear it in good health!

OK, after all the great recommendations from the members here I got a lucky break.:thumbup: I got a $100 Amazon gift cert for Xmas so I sprung for this...

Wenger Terra Graph Swiss Auto

Not bad for a hundred bucks outta pocket! It'll hold me over while I save up for something else.:cool1:

Thanks for all the help, if anything I figured out that there is no way to have only just one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts