WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I have a watch that was given to me about 10 years ago as my first watch. It is a Wenger Battalion I believe. It came with a ss band and I'm not a really big fan of ss or the way it looks on this watch. I would much prefer a black strap. In the picture below I put a black leather strap on it and still don't like the way it looks. The face of the watch is a dark greyish black but the strap on it now is almost like a jet black. The leather dresses it up too much imo. Maybe I should try and put a nylon velcro band on it? What does everyone think? Suggestions? And where could I buy a band?

wenger.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Hey guys, so I have a watch that was given to me about 10 years ago as my first watch. It is a Wenger Battalion I believe. It came with a ss band and I'm not a really big fan of ss or the way it looks on this watch. I would much prefer a black strap. In the picture below I put a black leather strap on it and still don't like the way it looks. The face of the watch is a dark greyish black but the strap on it now is almost like a jet black. The leather dresses it up too much imo. Maybe I should try and put a nylon velcro band on it? What does everyone think? Suggestions? And where could I buy a band?

View attachment 28114
How about a red / black NATO or zulu. I got mine from Crown & Buckle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about a red / black NATO or zulu. I got mine from Crown & Buckle.

That's a nice looking strap. Do you think it would look good on my watch? The thing is the face isn't black, it's more of a dark grey. Hence why the black leather strap looks too dark next to the face. Do you think this strap would do the same thing? I almost need a worn black. Something that isn't so dark. The only red in the watch is the Wenger logo and the seconds hand. The numbers have that light green lume color and the face is a dark grey

I like the band you have, a lot actually. I just want to make sure whatever I put on this watch looks like it belongs. Right now this black leather strap just doesn't look like it fits, you know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Crown & Buckle have a wide selection. Take a look. I'll bet you find something you like.:biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crown & Buckle have a wide selection. Take a look. I'll bet you find something you like.:biggrin:
How do I determine how many mm I need? The part of the watch where the band actually connects to the watch with the pins is 20mm apart (2cm). So do I need to order a band that is 20mm or could I go larger?

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
How do I determine how many mm I need? The part of the watch where the band actually connects to the watch with the pins is 20mm apart (2cm). So do I need to order a band that is 20mm or could I go larger?
You need to order a 20mm strap, then. Sometimes people will order larger width straps and notch them to fit, but this isn't an option for a NATO.

If you are concerned about the dial not being pure black, another direction to go in would be a tan or brown strap of some sort. A flieger-style strap would go well with that also. Since most of them are made with an eye towards being appearing vintage, a black one may even be an option. Here's one from Panatime:

http://www.panatime.com/20blpistsosu.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You need to order a 20mm strap, then. Sometimes people will order larger width straps and notch them to fit, but this isn't an option for a NATO.

If you are concerned about the dial not being pure black, another direction to go in would be a tan or brown strap of some sort. A flieger-style strap would go well with that also. Since most of them are made with an eye towards being appearing vintage, a black one may even be an option. Here's one from Panatime:

20mm Black Pilots Style Soft Sueded Leather Calf 120/80 20/20
I believe I need a 22mm strap after measuring. Am I correct?

wenger.jpg

Also, what do you think of this strap? It has black, grey, and red. How do you think it would go along with this watch?

nato_37_22-01.jpg

nato_37_22-01.jpg

Also, I have a random question. When I order this strap does it come with the pins to hook the band onto the watch or do I have to supply my own?

Also, I don't have the tools to manipulate the pin into the lug. How hard would it be for me to put the band on or would I have to take it somewhere to do it?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Your ruler does not appear to be lined up with the lugs, could be 20 or 22.

Some companies supply spring bars with their straps, does not do any harm to ask :wink:

I believe C&B actually sell spring bar tools if not you could try use a knife but be very careful because they slip easily, a lot of us have the nicks to prove it.

As for the strap you could also consider one with a contrasting colour stitch, black/red carbon look is quite nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your ruler does not appear to be lined up with the lugs, could be 20 or 22.

Some companies supply spring bars with their straps, does not do any harm to ask :wink:

I believe C&B actually sell spring bar tools if not you could try use a knife but be very careful because they slip easily, a lot of us have the nicks to prove it.

As for the strap you could also consider one with a contrasting colour stitch, black/red carbon look is quite nice.
Hmmm it's hard for me to know where to start/stop measuring the lugs. 2mm while not much at all, would make a huge difference. Can you be a little bit more specific on how to measure before I order?

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Hmmm it's hard for me to know where to start/stop measuring the lugs. 2mm while not much at all, would make a huge difference. Can you be a little bit more specific on how to measure before I order?
You have to measure the inside edges of the lugs.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks to be 20mm. Worst comes to worst, you can always exchange it for a larger one, but I think you'll be safe with the 20mm.
Yeah, I called them and they asked me to send in a picture. So I did and they seem to think it was 20mm too. Hey, let me ask you another question. I have small wrists. 6". And the length of this strap, not including clasps is 10 and 3/4". Do you think that is going to be insanely long? Also, take into account that the way this band works is you snake it through one spring bar, along the back of the watch, and then back through the other spring bar (so maybe that will eat up some of the length of the band)? And I asked and they will include a pair of spring bars for me. Waiting to pull the trigger on this but am a bit concerned with the overall length of the band.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Yeah, I called them and they asked me to send in a picture. So I did and they seem to think it was 20mm too. Hey, let me ask you another question. I have small wrists. 6". And the length of this strap, not including clasps is 10 and 3/4". Do you think that is going to be insanely long? Also, take into account that the way this band works is you snake it through one spring bar, along the back of the watch, and then back through the other spring bar (so maybe that will eat up some of the length of the band)? And I asked and they will include a pair of spring bars for me. Waiting to pull the trigger on this but am a bit concerned with the overall length of the band.
If you wear it as you describe you should be just fine.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It is a 20mm from what I can see. The straps I've ordered from C&B do not come with spring bars, but the ones on your leathers strap or bracelet should be fine. You can order sets on Amazon or another qualified place for 10 bucks for hundreds of them. Be sure to pick up a spring bar tool, even though they're inexpensive they're incredibly useful. Crown and buckle sells excellent ones that made changing straps a million times easier for me.

I really love the red/gray/black strap you found, it will be amazing on your watch! Thomas will take such good care of you too. He is easily one of the easiest people to do business with I've ever met.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've been working with Charles to get him the perfect NATO for his Wegner. It looks like he just pulled the trigger on the black & grey, 20mm of course. :thumbup1:
And I must say the customer service I've experienced has been nothing short of amazing! I wasn't sure of the size, as you can tell by this thread, and they asked me to send in a picture. I did and they promptly called me back and noted that I needed the 20mm band. They also talked me through how exactly to place the band on the watch (I've never done it before). I then wasn't sure on which color combo to go with and they suggested one for me. Truly great service and I can't wait for my order to be delivered. And of course, pictures are soon to come! Thank you CrownAndBuckle, you have tremendous customer service!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like them both.:cool1:

Thank you. I was initially worried that the red would be too flashy so I ordered the grey just in case. Now I think the red is perfect for the watch and the grey might be too bland. Haha. You don't think the grey band makes it look too drab?

Also, I'm not looking at purchasing another watch with the mindset of taking the SS band off and putting a NATO on it. I know this is probably not the right place to ask, but what do you think of the Seiko World Time as a watch and also which color do you like best?

seiko wt black.jpg seiko wt blue.jpg seiko wt white.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts