WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to watch collecting. I have been looking for a Titoni Airmaster Pilot for sometime. I have a post on the WTB forum here. I received an email from someone who says he has one for $245.00(US) only accepts western union payment and has not yet sent pictures. What does everyone think? How do I proceed.

Thanks for the help

Gradyl

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I'd be curious to know why he will only accept Western Union money orders and not those from others, like American Express for example.
As for photos: wait a day or so and POLITELY ask again. If you are still ignored, I'd walk away.

I've yet to flip any of my pieces, so I hope one of our members who has had experience selling will chime in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CometHunter

I'd be curious to know why he will only accept Western Union money orders and not those from others, like American Express for example.
As for photos: wait a day or so and POLITELY ask again. If you are still ignored, I'd walk away.

I've yet to flip any of my pieces, so I hope one of our members who has had experience selling will chime in.
I tried several times to contact the person without success after asking for pictures. He could have sold the watch and just did not respond or decided I was too suspicious.

gradyl

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Please do not send via western union

Western union isn't the same as an American express check in any way. When you send money via Western Union you are forfeiting all dispute rights because you're sending cash. No way to get your money back unless a legal battle ensues. Please DO NOT send via Western Union.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi Grady,

You are correct in being very cautious but I am also curious if the person who replied to you was an existing and well known forum member. Maybe moderators like CometHunter or Valtyr maybe able to help further if you pm the sellers details to them, it is possible it is a regular member who is just unavailable at the moment.

I notice a lot of sellers requesting bank transfers and Western Union as preferred payment options but I do not really understand why considering the fees incurred by using either service. Sellers on eBay Germany seem to favour bank transfer more than Paypal and Tradera which is the Swedish version again seem to prefer bank transfer. Certainly not my preferred choice because as Valtyr says you have no comeback if anything goes wrong with the sale.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Richard brought up my biggest concern - is the seller a regular forum member. People who are contributing members of an on-line community like this don't want their reputation sullied in any way so they're very honest and pleasant to deal with. It's like they have hundreds of references here.

I understand the desire to avoid Paypal regardless of the fees. They're owned by eBay and there's been quite a few members besides me who are fed up with one or the other and have boycotted both as a result. I send and receive USPS money orders with sellers/buyers, and have used other payment methods like bank wire transfers and Xoom with foreign merchants if I trust them.

Long story short: buy the seller, meaning if anything makes you wary about the seller then move on. It's your money so feel safe using it. After all, there aren't many one of a kind watches so another example of your chosen model that might even be in better shape and/or be a better deal will come along.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie to WTF, but I've sold a few pieces on other forums.

I would walk away if the seller can't provide pictures. That's an EXTREMELY reasonable request.

The last watch I sold, the buyer PM'd me and asked me for another pic of the dial. I think this was his way of verifying I had the watch and that I was legit. I don't begrudge him at all, even with my high post count and feedback on that particular watch forum, you can never be to careful. I was happy to take the pic he requested.

Quickly, snapped a pic, uploaded to photobucket and sent it to him immediately within 20 mins. The picture quality was bad because it was at night and lighting was bad. But I think that made him even feel more comfortable becuase he knew it was a compeletly legitate "real-time" picture. He immediately transferred Paypal funds to me and we did the deal. He was happy and I was happy...everything went smooth.

If he's legit, there shouldn't be any real challenges for him to provide you pictures. Speaking from my own motivation to sell, he should want to provide pictures to interested parties if that's what it takes to sell.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
...The last watch I sold, the buyer PM'd me and asked me for another pic of the dial. I think this was his way of verifying I had the watch and that I was legit. ...
That's a VERY good point! :thumbup1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts