WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This if my first posting here and what better place to get advice on a vintage Rolex restoration! I'm a self proclaimed estate and garage sale junkie always, always looking for my next great find. Little did I know I would find 2 great finds this week. The first was an Omega Speedmaster and the second is this Rolex Submariner purchased at the same sale. My daily wear is a Rolex Sub 16610 so it didn't hurt to have it on when I stumbled upon this estate sale.

I didn't quite know what I had in my hands but it didn't take long to figure it out. Now comes the project part for the watch. The serial number dates the watch to 1961 and it's marked 5512 w/ a 1560 movement and this appears to a gilt dial?

The black bezel insert is missing - do I purchase a period bezel that is aged to match? Do I replace w/ a stainless steel bracelet that again is aged to period?

The acrylic is very dirty and the watch will be serviced in January but it's running perfect for now.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I would let the watch be...some info..

What you have here is a rare four line 5512 dial in a pointed guard case. In my opinion I would only change the crystal if you were to wear the watch regularly. The dome crystal is period correct and can be polished to remove most of the imperfections and scratches.

The bezel insert is faded but many collectors like that look. But if you were to replace this part. You need to find a fat font insert to make it period correct.

The dial in my opinion is a rare early variation. I say this because it is a Swiss Gold and silver four line gilt dial. The markers and hand luminous seem to correct, and match as well.

The year of the case, dial and hands are all indicative of an original rare and early 5512.

If the watch runs well, pass on the service, and do not polish the case.

Nice find..Arthur :thumbup1:

I own a 5512 with the same era dial and case..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arthur,

Thanks for the info, picture of your 5512, and your advice. I'll have my watch repair guy work on the crystal and hopefully it'll look better than it does.

I'm looking for a new band so I can start wearing the watch often. The bezel rotates in both directions - is this normal for this model?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Scott I agree, try to alter as little as possible on your 5512...

The bezel on all plastic crystal Subs turn in both directions..It was not until the sapphire crystals came on the scene, that the one way bezel click mechanism was implemented. This was invented in order to not overstate an underwater diver's air supply. So if the bezel on a sapphire Sub was hit let say on an object while diving, it would move only in one direction, showing less air time in the tank then you actually have...much safer then the later.

Scott you now own a rare piece of early Rolex sport watch history.
Please post newer pictures after the crystal is polished.

Arthur

Scott below is a scan of riveted bracelets with referance #'s that can be period correct for your watch head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Arthur...very nice find! The early 5512's, especially 4 Line Chronometer version are exceedingly rare! Looks like a nice watch, fat lugs, nice dial, etc. :001_smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts