WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel so dumb for doing this. I broke down and bought a vintage 1968 Omega Seamaster on eBay from Singapore. Here is the listing...

Omega Seamaster Date Vintage Watch 1968 | eBay

It came the other day and it's a piece of junk. It's clearly a fake. I paid $450. For it. I should have known better. I am a retired NYPD officer and the knock offs in Battery Park were better.

I contacted PayPal and they said if I got a watch dealer to say its not authentic I will be reimbursed. I know live in State College, Pa and there are no local Omega Dealers. The watch dealers I showed it to today say they do not know anything about vintage Omega watches.

Can anyone help me out with this.

Thanks,
W.J.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Hi. Your watch isn't fake; the dial has been refinished. The pattern on it now is the most commonly used to fool neophytes into a purchase. That watch originally was a Genève:

The listing does say it has a refurbished dial, which is about as honest as you can get on eBay. Maybe that's a lost in translation thing too. I don't think you'll get your money back but if you tell the seller you are unhappy maybe they'll take it back if you pay return shipping. The best chance you have is to say that it's not a Seamaster and the seller had the dial repainted to say that because Seamasters sell for much more than Genèves.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a pic of a real 1968 Seamaster?
There were a LOT of different Seamasters then. Most came in a variety of different case metals - stainless steel, gold plated, gold capped, and solid gold 14ct or 18ct.

The following watch existed in chronometer (168.023 w/ caliber 751) and non-chonometer (166.032 w/ caliber 752) versions:

There were several different chronographs too, like this 145.006 w/ caliber 321:

This changed to the caliber 861 in 1968 and became the 145.016.

There were also Chronostops with the caliber 865, one example being this 145.007:

Besides these, there were Seamasters and Seamaster Cosmics with or without date windows. PLENTY to choose from, but please ask BEFORE you buy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.