WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most exotic timepieces is a 1923 14k Eberhard fully hermetic. What makes it so exotic? Its fantastic looks? The way it opens? The fact it was (believed) to be the first patented (1921) fully hermetic timepiece. Well all of those plus the fact it is the ONLY 'cushion' shaped hermetic known?

It was always believed that Jean Finger was first to patent this design in 1921, we as Horologists have always thought that, and indeed Wilsdorf liked it so much, he copied the patent and released an identical (but round) design in 1923.

But during my studying it the NAWCC library I was astounded to find a 1918 advert by Gruen with this IDENTICAL design.
A bit more research showed that Gruen had applied for this patent in 1918 and it was granted 1919, some 2 yrs PRIOR to Jean Finger, and 3 yrs prior to Wilsdorf.
So ANOTHER American first.

Amazing Horology.
Here is my 14k 1923 Eberhard - Note cushion shape:

and the Gruen advert 1918 (patent applied 1918/granted1919)

Still a very exotic piece
Regards
Adam

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fantastic bit of work Adam.

It just goes to show that you should always take advertising about who was first with the grain (or 30) of salt that it deserves.

great photography as well.
Thanks Sean
Absolutely!!
My life's history is to track down the truth - facts:

Here are some wrist shots:

In its box:

Back of case - No dings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.