WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may remember this post here:
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/american-watch-forum/63105.htm#post563323

Well I have been waiting for this rare piece to arrive, probably the earliest American wristwatch in my collection, and among the earliest timepieces from American wristwatch history.
Up to a few days ago, I was pretty sure that the earliest men's wristwatches were 1916, but thanks to Stan Anthony Czubernat, we now have evidence of 'adverts' (not actual timepieces) as early as 1913!!
Anyway, here I want to show you my latest and most interesting purchase, its a 1917 Hampden Offset Crown and 12 at 3 o clock. This company was also called the Dueber-Hampden Watch Company

This watch numbers among the earliest of American wristwatches. Serial No: 3,347,688 dating it to 1917.

The case: A very unusual case style by (Dueber Watch Case co, signed only Silverine, which means Nickel), design for a belt strap to slide neatly under the 3 piece case, 3 piece.

Using a ‘Lepine’ movement and ultra rare case, crown and 12 are mounted at 1.30.

The movement: Hampden 3/0 size , USA made in Canton, Ohio, 7 jewel movement.

The Hampden Watch Co, they were a smaller USA watch maker, Located in Springfield, Massachusetts, then Canton, Ohio, and believe it or not, during the depression, the whole factory with parts and unfinished movements was sold to the Soviet Union, yes the USSR. Thus began the Soviet watch industry, which still operates today.

The Watch - 1917 Crown at 1.30

On The Wrist:

Now side by side with my 'red 12' 1918 Offset crown. - Note how the 'Red 12' changes the whole recognition of these timepieces

Finally all three pieces with 'offset' crowns:

Acknowledgements
Stan Anthony Czubernat - Elgin 1918 - crown at 1.30. Early Elgin advert crown and 12 at 3 o clock.
Mark - trenchwatchrestorations - Elgin 1918 - crown at 3.
NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
Find out what we’re all about • Calendar of Events • Give a Gift • Join Us!
p: 717.684.8261 • f: 717.684.0878 • Welcome to NAWCC
NAWCC, Inc. • 514 Poplar St. • Columbia PA 17512-2130

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
These "off set" crowns are a truely unique and very cool feature!
I have a bunch of them and I marvel at every example I see...
yours are extremely beautiful examples and wonderful additions to your incredible
collection Adam!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I could not agree more with Greg, that Hampden is absolutely beautiful ! ! !

VERY uncommon dial style for a Hampden of this era.

Now I'm going to make you reach deeper in your pocket Adam ! ! !

You're going to have to try and find the WALTHAM now too ! ! ! !

I found an advert from February 27, 1918 that shows a Waltham that is 90 degrees offset to the right in a "SIMPLEX" watch strap ad.

It's using the Lepine (aka open face movement).

These two are the only adverts that I have found that CLEARLY show this exact style.

The second one shows the Elgin White Star Dial, the only advert that shows an Elgin White Star Dial known to exist.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Greg/Stan
The Hampden is amazing.
Look closely at the lugs they were welded on not exactly square but a few degrees offset (to the right) for the watch to site more perfectly readable.
Also the small holes? I suspect a cloth strap was put through each lug, the fixed with a small bar at the back. The holes for screws to attach to a bar that locked each strap down. So no need for a strap to run through the back.

The crown is also magnificent. Long stem to make it waterproof??

Stan
Yes I know of Waltham, offset, need to find one!! It has a picture in Complete Guide to Watches - page 650. Dated 1915!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.