WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I have been back 1 week, and decided the time had come for another article on Horology.
During my last days at NAWCC, I took time to wander round many of the old antique shops, looking 'not' to purchase anything, then I came across, the below, and I realized it was far too an important piece of Horology to miss.

It is a picture and an article from an 1882 famous childrens newspaper called 'Chatterbox'. I had thought this was an American paper, but no, it was printed and published in London.It was very famous as -Chatterbox Weekly Children's Newspaper Magazine

Anyway, this picture caught my eye as it showed a 'happy highlander' holding a pocket watch. Interesting I thought.

Now, I think i know when first wrist watches were made, I know pocket watches reached mass market about 1840, so why this picture in a paper of 1882.

OK, well before I relate to that, I want to explain.
In 1893, Samuel Pepys wrote in his diary, that:
"The Dutch East India Company introduced tea into Europe in 1610, and it is said to have been first imported into England from Holland about 1650. The English “East India Company” purchased and presented 2 lbs. of tea to Charles II. in 1660"

Now 'Tea' or as Pepy's wrote in his diary:
"That excellent and by all Physicians, approved, China drink, called by the Chineans Tcha, by other nations Tay alias Tee"

Well originally in 1660, when it was first brought to England, the only people who could afford it was 'aristocrats' but they had NO idea how to make it, and stories tell, how they added water, let it diffuse, then they threw OUT the water and ate the leaves.
It was a story, of knowing something was a delicacy or a rarity one must have, but 'what do you actually do with it?'

"So here is what Samuel Pepys says about his first experience of tea:
We talked together of the interest of this kingdom to have a peace with Spain and a war with France and Holland… And afterwards did send for a Cupp of Tee (a China drink) of which I never had before, and went away.
Samuel Pepys, Diary, 25 Sep 1660

Now what has this to do with Horology, you may well ask. Well like tea, 'The Watch seemed to have a similar history.

First we see the picture of a delighted Highlander holding a pocket watch:

Then we read the caption on the back dated 1745. Which reads
"During the Rebellion of 1745 - known better as 'The Battle of Culloden' - a Highlander came into possession of a watch. The 'thing' was strange to him, and its use unknown, but its beauty and constant ticking gave him pleasure.
That night the watch ran down, and the ticking ceased. The Highlander was now disgusted with his toy, and sought for someone to buy it. A purchaser was soon found at a low price. When the watch and the money had changed hands, the Highlander, chuckled over his bargain, said "Why, she died last night!"

So, next time you put on your watch, or study Horology realize to 'take nothing for granted.'

Here is the lovely write-up:

Regards
Adam

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.