WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on part 1 - Searching the Museum Database (link below)
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/61834.htm#post554328

I hope you took some time to search the NAWCC database I think you will be pleased, really I added very intuitive descriptions that should allow you to easily find an object if it is at all here. You can even search for 'fake'
Anyway To-days thread (part 2)will cover 'Library/Catalogs'. Now what ever may or may not be lacking in the museum artifacts is surely not the case with the library and its archives. I am each day amazed and astounded to find and learn what is here. Really as far as horology, it would be simpler to list what is not here - very little.
Also some of the information is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) entered which means its not just readable but FULLY searchable by keywords.
Did you also know that, you do not need to visit the library to research its books. If you are a member you can borrow and they will post most of the books direct to you. Two conditions, you pay insurance both ways and there must be minimum 2 copies for it to be released from the library. Hardly an issue as most books have 3 copies.

We start as before at home page.

The main page is here:

Welcome to NAWCC

From here click on 'Library and Research' tab
Brings you here:
Library

Then 'Library Catalog'
Winnebago Spectrum Web Catalog

Search Catalog.

You can now search by almost ANYTHING - Title, Author, or indeed a Subject - like 'escapements'. and you get this:

Or ELGIN:

Illinois?

Finally, there are two fantastic librarian staff in the museum - Sara Dockery (supervisor) and Nancy Dyer - Librarian/Archivist - It is free to members and a small charge to non members.

To-morrow Part 3 - NAWCC Publications and Bulletins.

Acknowledgement
NAWCC- “Images are the property of the National Watch & Clock Museum, Library & Archives and may not be reproduced without permission.”
Al Dodson - Help in learning manipulating the database.

NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
Find out what we’re all about • Calendar of Events • Give a Gift • Join Us!
p: 717.684.8261 • f: 717.684.0878 • Welcome to NAWCC
NAWCC, Inc. • 514 Poplar St. • Columbia PA 17512-2130

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Based on part 1 - Searching the Museum Database (link below)
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/61834.htm#post554328

I hope you took some time to search the NAWCC database I think you will be pleased, really I added very intuitive descriptions that should allow you to easily find an object if it is at all here. You can even search for 'fake'
Anyway To-days thread (part 2)will cover 'Library/Catalogs'. Now what ever may or may not be lacking in the museum artifacts is surely not the case with the library and its archives. I am each day amazed and astounded to find and learn what is here. Really as far as horology, it would be simpler to list what is not here - very little.
Also some of the information is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) entered which means its not just readable but FULLY searchable by keywords.
Did you also know that, you do not need to visit the library to research its books. If you are a member you can borrow and they will post most of the books direct to you. Two conditions, you pay insurance both ways and there must be minimum 2 copies for it to be released from the library. Hardly an issue as most books have 3 copies.

We start as before at home page.

The main page is here:

Welcome to NAWCC

From here click on 'Library and Research' tab
Brings you here:
Library

Then 'Library Catalog'

Search Catalog.

You can now search by almost ANYTHING - Title, Author, or indeed a Subject - like 'escapements'. and you get this:

Or ELGIN:

Illinois?

Finally, there are two fantastic librarian staff in the museum - Sara Dockery (supervisor) and Nancy Dyer - Librarian/Archivist - It is free to members and a small charge to non members.

To-morrow Part 3 - NAWCC Publications and Bulletins.

Acknowledgement
NAWCC- “Images are the property of the National Watch & Clock Museum, Library & Archives and may not be reproduced without permission.”
Al Dodson - Help in learning manipulating the database.

NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
Find out what we’re all about • Calendar of Events • Give a Gift • Join Us!
p: 717.684.8261 • f: 717.684.0878 • Welcome to NAWCC
NAWCC, Inc. • 514 Poplar St. • Columbia PA 17512-2130
Very helpful Site..thanks..Arthur :thumbup1:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.