WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from yesterday, I thought I would show you the wrist watch that is generally accepted to be the model that started the acceptance to the wrist watch (from pocket watch) in 1927.

It is a rare silver 1929 Octagon Rolex Oyster. What makes this watch so significant is that it was the model worn by Mercedes Gleitze when she swam the channel in 1926.
She was 27 yrs old and wore this model around her neck. Waiting for her was Wilsdorf and the Daily Mail Newspaper, and that was the 'start' of Rolex association with famous sportsmen/woman and explorers.

Actually this swim, was a 'vindication' swim, and this time Mercedes Gleitze only made it about 4/5 of the way across. So the vindication swim was not a complete success, but this Rolex Oyster, strapped round her neck came out of the water working perfectly.

My 1929 Silver Octagon Oyster.

In its box:

Here is the young Mercedes Gleitze, with the 'oyster' around her neck:

and her actual watch:

Regards
Adam

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Adam,

I MUCH prefer the dial on your example over the dial in the swimmer's watch -- might her dial have been redone? (The sub-6 seems a bit raised and without numbers, no Oyster reference on the dial, and the words SWISS MADE on the bottom of the dial all makes me question.) Am I wrong or is the date line on the reverse of her watch engraved a bit crooked vs. the other lines? I almost wonder if Rolex presented this to her some time later (2 years, in 1929 perhaps) without the exact date engraved on it and she or someone else might have added the date later?

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adam,

I MUCH prefer the dial on your example over the dial in the swimmer's watch -- might her dial have been redone? (The sub-6 seems a bit raised and without numbers, no Oyster reference on the dial, and the words SWISS MADE on the bottom of the dial all makes me question.) Am I wrong or is the date line on the reverse of her watch engraved a bit crooked vs. the other lines? I almost wonder if Rolex presented this to her some time later (2 years, in 1929 perhaps) without the exact date engraved on it and she or someone else might have added the date later?
Good point. Who knows.
I doubt redone. Maybe a special tribute.
My dial is 100% original. Will take more pictures

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.