WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a Spaceview for as long as I could remember. I finally pulled the trigger on an auction. I was hoping an old hand here could give me any advice on the care and feeding. I am not sure if I over paid on this one. The only thing not shown is the outside box which is included.

1964 Accutron 214 Spaceview with JB champion band and Accutron display box | eBay

This is the URL of the auction I bought so any thoughts would be appreciated. One thing I was thinking was to buy another crystal to leave around in case the worse happens to this one. There seems to be a plethora of NOS crystals out there. Is this a good idea, and what should I consider paying for one?

Emblem Championship Symbol Metal Box
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I will let others more knowledgeable on Spaceview details comment on your watch. However, I can advise you that your watch box is probably of the wrong era for that date watch. More likely seen on '70s era Accutrons. A box like the one in the link below, or one of the variations of that style, is correct for your watch. Nothing wrong with the box and I don't mean you should replace it immediately, just trying to be helpful.

VINTAGE! Bulova Accutron 214 Stainless Steel Wristwatch w/Box & Papers NICE! | eBay

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the kind of info I want to hear. Now I know what I need to start looking for. I want my Spaceview to be perfect when I am done with it.

I just got back into watches and am on the learning curve now. My collection is small but diverse. 3 Rolex', 5 Tudors, 3 Vostoks (one from the submarine Kursk), and a Steinhausen. This is the first time I have had a collection you can carry in a briefcase. Normally I buy big thing like old stereo speakers, so this is a big change.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Your box does have value. I have seen them go for $20+, depending on the timing. So, if you do replace it with one from the correct era, you may break even. Both box styles are sought after by Accutron collectors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It arrived and the watch looks terrific. The only issue is the band runs small. Not really it's fault, I just have huge wrists. SO for now I am putting on a leather band and will only put on the gold fill one for special occasions.

Now my next step is adding a couple of LED watches to the mix.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It's hard to tell much about that Spaceview from just the one picture but any Spaceview is a beauty in my book. They are fun to wear.
As to the upkeep you asked about in your original thread, it has been my experience that Accutrons don't ask for much upkeep. I usually get mine serviced, lubricated, by someone I trust after I get one and then just wear it. I have one, a 1970 model, that I bought in 1974 and wore continuously until 1992 when it quit. I got it going again in 2007, it didn't need much, and it has been running great since then.
Congratulations on the buy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it came in and it is beautiful. It is in beautiful shape and other than it's too small for my wrist right now, I can see how it will look. It has a JB Champion bracelet on it which is too small for me. I am currently looking for a band extender (see other thread) but o/w I am very happy.

I plan on taking a lot of pictures and posting them as soon as the new band I can wear is in.

I hope this isn't against policy but as was mentioned earlier I have the wrong box. So I am offering to trade my 70's box (which includes the outer box as well) for the correct box. I do NOT want to sell it, it's for trade only and will have to do until I get the correct box to store my watch in.

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Nice watch!!!

I also have issues with purchasing watches online. My hands are very wide so it take a very specific sized clasp watchband and watch design to be able to fit my hand, aside from a basic Speidel/Kreisler expansion band. I always have to inquire about band length. There are several Bulova watch bands on ebay that will fit that watch if you don't find a fix for the current one. My Kreisler Coffin Link on my Spaceview is 6 1/4" and it barely fits over my hand but once its on it fits ok. Most of my expansion bands need to be at least 6". With that info you can pretty much figure out if a watch is going to work for you or not or you buy it knowing the band will be put aside and buy a band that works better or find a correct one that fits and sell your current one.

Hope you get it all worked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.