WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever purchased an MZI German watch? I purchased two on e-bay for a really low price. I couldn't find much information out there about the watches but figured for the price I would take the chance. I received one of the watches today and its been ticking pretty accurately for the past few hours. It's a 21 jewel automatic flight watch. If anyone has any info or experience with these watches, please post up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Good links Grady, I see Swarovski are pretty P.O'd that MZI are claiming to use Swarovski stones when they patently are not... looks like a nice letter/email from their lawyers will be finding it's way to MZI in the near future :laugh:

Here's a website.

http://mziwatch.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

A quick look through Google indicates that it is a Chinese company masquerading as a German company. I can't vouch for that, but that's the buzz.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=MZI+German+watch&btnG=Google+Search

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Thanks for the links Grady. I wore the flight watch out to a friendly BBQ yesterday and it brought attention. Everyone thought that it looked like an expensive watch. In reality the watch is cool looking but it does seem somewhat cheap. I guess for the price its not a bad buy just to wear out once and a while. Just another addition to the collection.

P.S. The watch does keep pretty good time though. Lets see how it is a year from now. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Everyone thought that it looked like an expensive watch. In reality the watch is cool looking....
That describes more than half my collection, although regardless of how good they look the names on those watches like Pulsar, Timex, Invicta, and Casio are a dead give-away.

I like to stick with names I know or names that can be traced to names that I know or those which knowlegeable people speak well of.

However, I don't really care how little the watch costs or what its prestige factor is as long as it looks good, is well-built, and keeps good time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a few pics of the MZI Flight watch I was talking about.

There they are. Tell me what you think. Thanks, Kevin;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the company is Chinese or maybe its German, I'm not sure :confused1:. What I do know is that the package came from Germany. I'm still waiting for the second one from this company. I'll let you guys know what I think and post up some pics. So far the previous watch has been ticking pretty good and has kept good time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks like the same movement with minus the MZI engraving on the roter
Interesting. Nice piece you got there.
So far the watch is working wonderfully and continues to get attention. My brother-in-law was so thrilled with it that I let him hold onto it for a few days. :cool1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
MZI watch company

hi, I' german and I just bought one scelleton watch with steel bracelett for 150 US. Then I looked all over germany for that brand. It was advertised on ebay as 700 US recommendet price. Does that seem all right? I have not paid jet, since I also suspect it to be chinese. Could someone advise please?
PS having them shipped from Germany means nothing, they could be smuggled in in one small suitcase, and chinese restaurants are plenty in Europe
Thanks y'all

·
Registered
2 Posts
MZI watch company

hi, I' german and I just bought one scelleton watch with steel bracelett for 150 US. Then I looked all over germany for that brand. It was advertised on ebay as 700 US recommendet price. Does that seem all right? I have not paid jet, since I also suspect it to be chinese. Could someone advise please?
PS having them shipped from Germany means nothing, they could be smuggled in in one small suitcase, and chinese restaurants are plenty in Europe
Thanks y'all

·
Registered
309 Posts
Has anyone ever purchased an MZI German watch? I purchased two on e-bay for a really low price. I couldn't find much information out there about the watches but figured for the price I would take the chance. I received one of the watches today and its been ticking pretty accurately for the past few hours. It's a 21 jewel automatic flight watch. If anyone has any info or experience with these watches, please post up. Thanks.
That's a nice looking piece you got. Care to share how much you spent?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chinese Watch

Or how about MSRP? Very nice!
Nice looking watch, ok. But it IS definitely a chinese watch made by Million Smart Inc.

I've bought a watch from Trias, called 'Made in Germany'. After six months I found the same watch with different colors and logos. Same Trias watch was sold as a Arville Crossard, Glaswerk, Hamberg & Söhne, Lindberg & Sons, MZI, Perigaum and Royal Swiss.
Your MZI watch, I've found as Constantin Durmont. Surely there are some other so called 'brands'.

If you like the watch and didn't pay too much, I think it's ok. But don't except much.

Andy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kilian. You are correct, those are all Far- east watches. The only thing German about them is the name.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have this MZI skeleton

Still debating on weather or not keeping it? Sell it?

I did swap out the black strap for a brown,

I like it a little better with brown strap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oy! There are more of 'em out there.

This is my first posting on this forum. Prompted by this Chinese 'MZI' which, in my own collection, is a fake but beautifully rendered "Breitling" for which I paid $1.04 + shipping.

I love my fake. It is amazingly accurate, very beautiful with its ultra-silvery bracelet, and instead of it becoming my 'beater' watch, which was its intended destiny before delivery, it is a legitimate member of my modest collection.

Anyway, I was wondering what would prompt me to say 'hello' to this terrific site and spotting the near-twin of my "Breitling" was all I needed.

But it also gives me the opportunity to tell a quick story and ask: What got you interested in acquiring more than a 'normal' number of watches?

In my case, I grew up in a very large family. Every Saturday night, about twenty-five of us got together at Aunt Ida and Uncle Sol's house for dinner. This was in the 1950's! Grandpa Benny had a second-hand store in an 'iffy' part of the city. People used to bring him their broken watches and he'd give them useful items - gloves, warm hats, toasters. Whenever Grandpa Benny showed up at dinner, he'd dazzle us, both arms adorned from wrist to elbow with broken watches. Each was a treasure to me, and I would be allowed to choose one per visit. Eventually I had a cigar boxful of watches whose lineage and provenance could be traced only as far back as a Saturday night with my family.

As it turns out, at my advanced age this history is all that matters, after all. Yeah, my mother (may her black heart beat in whatever alternative universe it may still quiver) threw them all out when I was about 17. Obviously a sad day that has stuck deep and still hurts a bit. I suspect my own infatuation with watches is a kind of compensation (over?) for the loss. Or, maybe it's because watches - hot or cool - are fantastic as a technology, artform and pure utilitarian entity.

The 'How-did-you-get-started' question is probably here or in the archive site, but I had to post today because, as so often happens, I wore a particularly showy watch and bored the poor guy who complimented me with my story. So, fellow travelers, thanks for reading if you got this far!

bb

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
hi brian. glad you came out of the shadows.
WTF is very opposed to fakes. But that's another topic.
My interest in horology goes back to when I was eight or nine - about 50 years ago - when my granny gave me a boy's Bulova. I loved how the hands glowed in the dark.
And I've been a lume freak ever since.
Thanks for sharing your tale.
Look forward to getting to know you better. The more you post, the more fun we all have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts