WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Swiss made Stirling Rotomatic wrist watch that I'm seeking information on for literally years. I have been unable to find any information about this maker or watch to the point of being unable to find any mention of either anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have any insight into the maker and/or where I could find more information regarding this watch. If you require more information or images let me know. It appears to be circa 1950's and the back states that it is waterproof, shockproof and antimagnetic.

thanks

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and post some pictures tonight. I don't have immediate access to a wrench so I can't expose the movement, but I'l get some images of the front and back. This was my grandfathers daily wear and was hoping some wise soul on the forum would at least recognize the name. It literally does not exist on the interweb

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
Pictures of the movement will be a necessity along with the inside of the case back for this one. Its possible this is a private mfr watch so we'll need to see who the movement maker / case maker is.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Based on the chirping crickets I'm going to assume that my search for any info on this watch/movement is destined to continue. Drat, I was really hoping to find out if I have a treasure or a turd.

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
If the watch had some real value then someone here would recognize either the name or movement so I doubt very much that the watch is a 'treasure' unless it has some sentimental value to you. There are/were so many small watch companies that would source movements from other suppliers, stick their name on the dial and then sell the watch that it's sometimes very difficult to track down the background. Hopefully someone will recognize the movement.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I spent 20 minutes on Google and came up with nothing. Like others said, it probably was a small company that cased Swiss movements.

Usually there are small markings on the movement itself. For instance, AS indicates Adolf Schild. See what markings there are on your movement and maybe we can at least tell you something about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
In searching thru Ranfft's site, it looks like an ETA2380. or one of its variations. One obvious difference i noted was Ranfft's pic has an exposed balance wheel but i suspect this is the same movement. Doesn't help much though as this ebauche movement was used in a lot of watches during the 50's / 60's.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys this is exactly what I was looking for.

This was my grandfathers watch and I wanted to find out if it was worth putting any money into it as I've had it sitting on a shelf for 30ish years and I'm it's doubtful it's ever been serviced. I fired it up recently and it runs very well so I started to try to find out something about it which brought me here. I thought the movement looked like a reasonable quality unit, but really I know literally nothing about watches. I also have a Tissot Visodate Seastar (782 Movement) of my Dads, but it's in rough shape and I may just toss that one.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Servicing should be cheap enough that it comes down to how you want to remember your grandfather. With an actual working watch you could wear, or something that gets buried in a drawer somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts