a 1950's Gruen Curvex. I will take pics
when it arrives. These are the seller's
pics for now!

The case and crystal has 3 facets.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Very nice.

I just found a man here in ABQ who rebuilds watches and sells them at some very tempting prices and offers a one year warranty.

He had one very similar to this one last time I was there.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have a vintage stable of about 20 watches,,,Hamilton, Bulova, Elgin Benrus, and Longines....I would love a Gruen...Nice start !

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cool. You know you are a WIS when you start getting into vintage pieces. That's bizarre how the actual movement looks curved!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. You know you are a WIS when you start getting into vintage pieces. That's bizarre how the actual movement looks curved!
The actual movement is curved! Gruen invented this design.
This can get very addicting. :scared:

From a very old Ad-

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now this get's even crazier! :eek:hmy:

Left: The 1938 Curvex Coronet (original price $50). Note the side view: the case is too short and bends much too sharply for it to be worn like a normal watch. (Both photos by Jack Goldberg.)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I'm looking at a vintage gold Hamilton; I wasn't going to buy anything for a while, but that Curvex got my acquisitiveness going. Thanks - I think!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Wow..is this a sign? I was with a friend a week ago and he was trying to convert me to vintage watch collection.

First he showed me his fabulous collection of vintage Rolex. Then I saw his Omegas, Tudors, Chronographe Suisse, Revue Thomen, GP, Seiko Bellmatic, Seiko Bull, Hamilton, Longines, Enicars, Eternamatic, Sovil Titus, Rado, Titoni and Citizen Bull. Very nice indeed and all in all almost 60 interesting vintage timepieces.

One Omega Ladymatic had an impressive solid gold crafted bracelet. The Chronographe Suisse was also a solid gold vintage. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Excellent..

You know the old Gruen Watchworks building is a Rolex Admin building today.....

In the beginning, Aegler, who provided the movements to Rolex, and Gruen were next door neighbors.

The Rolex Prince and the Gruen Techi-Quadron shared the same Aegler movement in the 30's..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Excellent..

You know the old Gruen Watchworks building is a Rolex Admin building today.....

In the beginning, Aegler, who provided the movements to Rolex, and Gruen were next door neighbors.

The Rolex Prince and the Gruen Techi-Quadron shared the same Aegler movement in the 30's..

:thumbup:
Wow, I was just reading those very same facts today at a Gruen History site!-

The Precision Factory today, used by Rolex as an administration building. Notice how the facade has been simplified, and no longer shows exposed wooden beams matching those on Time Hill. This change was made sometime before the early 1960s. Although not visible here, "ROLEX" is spelled out in huge red letters on the roof.
(Thanks to James Dowling for this photo)

Gruen, Rolex and Aegler
One of the most deeply-held myths about Gruen is that Gruen and Rolex at one time manufactured movements for each other's watches. This is not true, although both firms did use some of the same movements—the best known examples are the Gruen Techi-Quadron and its twin, the Rolex Prince. In reality, these movements were manufactured by a third company, Aegler, who was a very close neighbor to the Gruen Precision Factory.

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/index.html

Other interesting facts about Gruen from Wikipedia:
In 1874 Dietrich Gruen (1847-1911) a German immigrant lived in Delaware, Ohio.
In 1876, Gruen started the Columbus Watch Company in Columbus, Ohio. At that time, he finished and cased watch movements from Switzerland.
In 1894, Gruen, with his son Frederick, opened D. Gruen and Son. They made top-quality pocket watches and wristwatches.
Around 1911, Frederick Gruen built and opened a factory, named Time Hill, in Cincinnati, Ohio on East McMillan Street in Walnut Hills. Gruen was one of the largest watch manufacturers in the country. It continued business until the late 1970s.
The name Gruen is now owned by M.Z. Berger which produces watches with the Gruen name. The rights to the name "Gruen" were sold to MZ Berger, but Gruen-branded watches produced after the 1970s have no other connection to Gruen or the Gruen Watch Company.

Gruen actually had a line of watches built entirely in the USA, including their movements. :thumbup:

Another great Gruen site:

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/GRUEN.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts