WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IWC, to me, is a high-end watch company. Very nice pieces, both mechanically and astetically (sp). My only concern is the number of quartz watches they have. Don't get me wrong, I have many quartz watches, more so than automatics, but I can't see paying $3000.00 + for one. Just seems wrong to have such a great looking, expensive watch be a quartz. What's your take?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What quartz watch do you mean? There are none in the current collection?

I happen to have a Breitling B1 with UTC module too, that's considered high end Quartz and I am very happy with it. It has tons of functions that are ideal for a travel/vacation watch that are impossible on pure mechanical watches.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Marc,

Looking in last years book there isn't any quartz there either.. You sure you're not talkin' about another company maybe? Unless IWC had quartz in previousl years.. But as far as I remember, they haven't.... But I know they don't now....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am not aware of any quartz line from IWC either. There are some companies who have made high end quartz though--Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet come to mind. I think Philip Stern, CEO of Patek, recently said his firm was producing up to 10,000 units now, which surprised me. But I don't think IWC has done this, at least from what I know. From a consumer standpoint, having an affection for mechanical watches, I agree and don't like quartz much either. But it obviously makes sense for the watch companies to offer it because for some consumers, they want the accuracy which you get with quartz.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't give the link cause they are not WTF advertisers, but the models I found are the GST Chrono and the Portofino Chrono #s IW372401, 403, 404, 406, IW333103, and IW333106. These might be older or disc models, it didn't say. Very nice watches and I wouldn't mind owning any of them, just saying...

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Portofino model line does come with an automatic movement, so if there is a quartz version, you can choose the automatic one. I think IWC still makes the Portofino line.

·
Registered
592 Posts
All the current Portofino's are mechanical. There have been quartz models but I was unable to find when they were produced.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Marcw,

Why is wrong for a high-priced watch to have a quartz movement? I've never understood the discrimination against quartz movements in expensive watches...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Marcw,

Why is wrong for a high-priced watch to have a quartz movement? I've never understood the discrimination against quartz movements in expensive watches...
Nothing really wrong with it, heck, I own a quartz Omega Seamaster. I just think that IWC is among one of the upper-crust watch names and I thought it strange that they had so many quartz models. Although, now that I have gone back and looked, they don't have as many as I thought :blushing:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I found the ones you referenced online Marc. Not sure when they were made though. The catalogs I have go back to '06 & I can't find any....
:confused1: :confused1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts