WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got her as Non Working, opened her up, to my surprise she has a ring that sits onto of the dial, once i had her out, the battery and battery clip tumbled out of the case, the area where the battery had been sitting for quite a long time was discolored with greenish corrosion, most likely the battery at some point leaked , but upon examining the area and the rest of the movement, the movement looked very clean, so after about 20 minutes of throughly cleaning the battery area of the corrosion I placed a fresh 387S on her and attached the clip, I touch one of the wheels on the movement, and suddenly she sprang to life, put her all back together, sanded and polished the crystal, polished the case and she's looking pretty good.
Total cost out of pocket on this one was $118.40 it's from canada. according to Rene Rondeau page 182 the Nautilus 404 sold new for $125.00 so, I guess I saved a few Bucks on this one...:lol:

Video

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Cool. I guess the trick to longevity with these is to pull the stem so it's not running when it's not in use.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This watch is a bit small, reminds me of a Hamilton Electric Taurus in size, the reflector ring pop's out without issue once the crystal is off the case.

This watch however has a very tight fitting case, took me a few minutes to get the movement out, but, wonder if the difficulty was the fact that the battery and battery clip were dislodged inside the case, because when I finally freed the movement, the old battery and battery clip came tumbling out of the case as I was holding on to the movement.

Getting the movement back inside the case was also an issue, took me a few minutes to get the movement seated correctly into the watch case, as to the Ring, on the dial I saw what appeared to be two tiny holes on the dial, I was assuming the holes were there to place the ring properly on to the dial, but the ring had no visible feet, so by eye I aligned ring.

I slowing pressed the crystal back on with my crystal lift, most times I move the crystal side to side with the lift to make certain its seated properly on to the case but this time that wasn't an option, because doing so would make the Ring move out of alignment.

These Hamiltons are a hit and miss sometimes you get them and get them going, other times there are issues, bad balance, electrical problem etc. but once you get one going, their little horses running strong as if you just got it straight from the store brand new.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Nice work Eddie! That's a great wearable piece of history there! I heard those Hamiltons go through batteries pretty fast, is that correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts