WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

After being dragged around the UK by my wife to see family and friends I got the chance to spend a little bit of "me time" with a visit to my AD yesterday afternoon. I actually went to see about a Longines Master Retrograde they had but the only one they had in stock was a 44mm (which is too big for my wrist) so I refused the temptation to buy it and will wait for the 41mm to come into stock instead.

Whilst "window shopping" some of the other things on show I spotted an A. Lange and Sohne Datograph Flyback (Ref 403.032) in Rose Gold. Don't ask me how it happened but I left the shop with it on my wrist....

This hobby is getting too expensive and addictive - no more watches for me for the next 12 months!!!

In the meantime I hope you like some photographs I have taken of it within the last hour?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
"Window Shopper of the Year". You do realize that you're ruining the bell curve for the rest of the newbies, right? :scared::001_tongue:

Don't ask me how it happened but I left the shop with it on my wrist....
:laugh: We've all been there. Maybe not quite as smashing of an impulse purchase though. :thumbup1:

This hobby is getting too expensive and addictive - no more watches for me for the next 12 months!!!
....unless the 41 mm Longines comes in stock. :sneaky2::lol::lol:

Man -- that watch is an absolute stunner. Congrats!
Yeah, what he said! :001_tt1: That movement is so gorgeous I'd be tempted to wear the watch backwards.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both,

I know what you mean Dennis. The only issue I have with this watch is that I keep taking it off to look at the back! :lol:

It was an impulse buy of sorts because I never thought I would be returning home with this watch when I set out yesterday. Having said that I do adore A. Lange and Sohne watches and have often look through their catalogue and website admiring the photos and hoping one day to own one...

I'm seriously not going to be doing any more watch shopping for a while (well I might make an exception for the Longines because I do love it) but after that I will be forced to start saving again!

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
172 Posts
Telling you "Happy New Year" is like saying "Good Luck" to someone who just won the lottery. A. Lange and Sohne never fails to impress. Enjoy.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Through the "In" door aiming at a Longines, through the "Out" door with a Lange - that, sir, is how it's done. To heck with the intermediate steps! Full speed ahead. That has brio, elan, flair, sprezzatura, devil-may-care recklessness, you name it! Hats off sir, hats off. :thumbup1:

Stunner of a watch. Wife seen the consequences of towing you about to all her Aunt Minnies and Uncle Morts?

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stunner of a watch. Wife seen the consequences of towing you about to all her Aunt Minnies and Uncle Morts?
Ha ha.

Yeah I'm really lucky though as she just lets me get on with it. She did say that if I spent the money on cars that I spend on watches I would be in trouble. But she understands that watches retain a bit more of their value than a new car so she isn't so worried.

Not that I ever intend to sell any of them....

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :lol:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah, what he said! :001_tt1: That movement is so gorgeous I'd be tempted to wear the watch backwards.
Yes, I think that about most ALS watches! (and it's not always purely a compliment about the movement)

Yeah I'm really lucky though as she just lets me get on with it. She did say that if I spent the money on cars that I spend on watches I would be in trouble. But she understands that watches retain a bit more of their value than a new car so she isn't so worried.
Does she know you could have bought a car for what this watch costs? :)

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Don't forget less storage and maintenance costs too. :wink:

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I think that about most ALS watches! (and it's not always purely a compliment about the movement)
Does that mean you don't like the front of ALS watches? I'm not offended if that's how you feel? It's all a subjective matter really.

Does she know you could have bought a car for what this watch costs? :)
Yes she knows. She also knows that a car that was driven out of a UK dealership would lose more money over 5 years than the watch - so I'm forgiven!

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yes, unfortunately thats what it means. I respect them tremendously for the workmanship, quality, and materials, but there's not many I would personally want to own, especially at the prices they get.

It sounds like you are very lucky in regards to both watches and wives!

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't forget less storage and maintenance costs too. :wink:
Yes. As a new collector I haven't been bitten by the service costs on any of my watches yet. The IWC is getting on for 4 years old so I guess I'll get to experience that pain all too soon. :sad:

As for storeage costs I suppose that goes with the territory. The costs of a safe and bank depository (where needed) are another up front or on-going cost. That said a nice car needs a service more often than a watch - it needs a garage to house it - and a tracker system if it is mid to top range.

So I'll keep selling it to the wife that the ALS is still a better "use" of money! :sneaky2:

Regards,

Tony

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, unfortunately thats what it means. I respect them tremendously for the workmanship, quality, and materials, but there's not many I would personally want to own, especially at the prices they get.

It sounds like you are very lucky in regards to both watches and wives!
Fair enough. I think that's what makes watch collecting such fun. We can appreciate the craftmanship, design or purpose of the watch without wanting to own one. I guess it's when you like all 3 things about it is when you want to buy it!

Not sure about the star billing I'm giving the wife here by the way. I just said I wanted to open a bottle of wine and got my head bit off (we kind of over did it on NYE!)

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
While I am ordinarily strictly a vintage watch kinda person ....that is a beauty ...and in rose gold thank you very much ! ......and are you sure you can't wear it backwards ?.....the movement is stunning......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts