WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Very nice. I won't comment on value. Lately I've been buying nothing but solid gold Accutrons, slowly as my budget allows, and haven't been keeping up with the values of others.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Your 214 RR Approved

Welcome to the Bulova & Accutron Forum. Your caliber 214 Railroad Approved is worth your $115 winning bid on eBay. You will probably want to have it serviced and timed and that cost will be around $125-150 dollars. Any case restoration will be additional. It is an excellent example of the RR Approved model on which you can build and expand your Accutron collection. Nice buy.:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If you only paid $115, IMHO, you got a deal! :thumbup1: Checking around locally, you may be able to find a competent, trained Accutron service person to do a clean and setup for less than that quoted above. Just like mine. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it think.....

If you only paid $115, IMHO, you got a deal! :thumbup1: Checking around locally, you may be able to find a competent, trained Accutron service person to do a clean and setup for less than that quoted above. Just like mine. Thanks for sharing.
I was told that a 214 needs a 1.3v to run correctly,
the replacement of the battery should do the trick,
i will let you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I was told that a 214 needs a 1.3v to run correctly,
the replacement of the battery should do the trick,
i will let you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The replacement battery is a 387S, which is a silver oxide 1.55v. The old, lower voltage mercury battery is no longer available nor legal to produce. Your watch will run well with the 387S battery. You watch may need to have the regulation (time keeping) tweaked but that's all. No harm will come to the electrical components. You will find those who disagree but the vast majority of folks are using the 387S battery with it's slightly higher voltage. I have experimented with the Accucell-1 battery, which uses a diode to reduce voltage. Results have been less than satisfactory. Some 214s just won't run on them, fit is a problem in some 214s and they don't last as long because the battery used in the Accucell-1 is a bit smaller than the 387S battery. Check on eBay for the cheapest 387S price with free S&H. I use Renata brand but any brand will do. Buy a multi-pack if you have more than one 214. I usually buy 2 batteries for each 214 I keep running. The batteries will last a couple few years in storage and have an expire date.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any body in dallas here that fixes these?

the replacement battery is a 387s, which is a silver oxide 1.55v. The old, lower voltage mercury battery is no longer available nor legal to produce. Your watch will run well with the 387s battery. You watch may need to have the regulation (time keeping) tweaked but that's all. No harm will come to the electrical components. You will find those who disagree but the vast majority of folks are using the 387s battery with it's slightly higher voltage. I have experimented with the accucell-1 battery, which uses a diode to reduce voltage. Results have been less than satisfactory. Some 214s just won't run on them, fit is a problem in some 214s and they don't last as long because the battery used in the accucell-1 is a bit smaller than the 387s battery. Check on ebay for the cheapest 387s price with free s&h. I use renata brand but any brand will do. Buy a multi-pack if you have more than one 214. I usually buy 2 batteries for each 214 i keep running. The batteries will last a couple few years in storage and have an expire date.

any body in dallas here that fixes these?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The metropolitan area near which I live is much smaller than yours, about 400,000 people, but nobody in it repairs Accutrons. I'm afraid that you might have to ship it to be repaired like so many of us do. O(liverB has someone he really likes and, if that doesn't work, I've got a couple that I use.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Call around to local watch repair places in the DFW area. The older the store the better chance you have of finding a certified Accutron repairman.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1.3v..............

Call around to local watch repair places in the DFW area. The older the store the better chance you have of finding a certified Accutron repairman.
Well I got the watch today, it was running fast i could see it,,..
i took out the battery and put in a reducer................
perfect time..
not off a bit in 5 hours i have it timed with my computer:001_tt2::lol::drool:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Well I got the watch today, it was running fast i could see it,,..
i took out the battery and put in a reducer................
perfect time..
not off a bit in 5 hours i have it timed with my computer:001_tt2::lol::drool:
Regulation should be checked and adjusted over a period of 30 days. The watchmaker in Bulgaria I use regulates his newly serviced watches to +2 sec/day to compensate for loss of time due to wrist motions. He even puts them on a watch winder to simulate wrist wear. It is a little unusual for you to see that dramatic a difference in just a few hours between different voltage batteries but if it works for you, go for it. :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellll..........

Regulation should be checked and adjusted over a period of 30 days. The watchmaker in Bulgaria I use regulates his newly serviced watches to +2 sec/day to compensate for loss of time due to wrist motions. He even puts them on a watch winder to simulate wrist wear. It is a little unusual for you to see that dramatic a difference in just a few hours between different voltage batteries but if it works for you, go for it. :eek:hmy:
IT Seames now that the watch is running slow, hmmm you r right:blush:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.