WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 pm today, I noticed that my OM was about 15 minutes fast. I set it to the proper time and now 9 hours later, it's 38 minutes fast. Any ideas what could be causing this? I haven't opened it or had it off my wrist for more than a night since I bought it new about 4 months ago.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hello Reacher, well its more than likely 1 of 2 possible issues to cause that....

There are 2 issues that could cause your watch to run that quickly.

1. One being if the watch had a sudden shock or impacting movement, which in turn would cause the balance spring to get tangled on the balance plate stud, which has happened on a small number of 7S26 based movements in various models useing the 7S26B caliber...This may not be the cause of your issue, since you say the watch has been worn continually on your wrist for the past 4 months less the one night you mentioned.
If you haven't been done any heavy manual labor useing hammers or jack hammers that would exibit shocking vibrations, or the watch hasn't struck an object while on your wrist, then this possible cause is doubtful...Then again, arm & body movement while sleeping is common & its possible your arm could have had movement while you were asleep, and the watch could have stuck the wall or bed post possibly, that always must be taken into possible consideration. (To correct this if this is the case, the balance spring needs to be untangled manually or by an opposing force of pressure that may dislodge it and allow it to return back to the normal position)

2. The second possible cause could be that the watch was subjected to a strong magnetic current, which can cause a movement to run quickly as you desribed because it has been magnatized...If you have a stereo system or have had your wrist in front of some speakers, oe even a static charge from a television screen that has a CRT tube, that also could create and have enough static energy to cause this quick running effect on a watch movement. (To correct this possible cause, the watch would have to be demagnitized, which isn't hard to do by a watch repair shop or watch maker, or person that has a demagnitizer tool and has done this before)

I hope this helps you to determine the cause of your running issue.

Regards,
Jim

About 2 pm today, I noticed that my OM was about 15 minutes fast. I set it to the proper time and now 9 hours later, it's 38 minutes fast. Any ideas what could be causing this? I haven't opened it or had it off my wrist for more than a night since I bought it new about 4 months ago.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look for somebody local who does watch repair and see what they can do. I don't have the tools or the know how to attempt either one of those fixes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are 2 issues that could cause your watch to run that quickly.

1. One being if the watch had a sudden shock or impacting movement, which in turn would cause the balance spring to get tangled on the balance plate stud, which has happened on a small number of 7S26 based movements in various models useing the 7S26B caliber...
I experienced the exact same issue with a skx007's 7s26. Fortunately, my watch still had its original seiko 1 year warranty. You said you purchased your watch 4 months ago. Is your warranty expired? Seiko did a great and quick job with repairs.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
As muckler mentioned, give the watch a good stiff blow on the 9 o'clock side

of the case against the palm of your hand a few times which could dislodge the stuck balance spring and allow it to return to its normal position & then see if she slows down to with in reasonable timing.

Thats what you can do first, then if that doesn't correct the issue you can bring it into a watchshop...

Good luck,
Jim

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look for somebody local who does watch repair and see what they can do. I don't have the tools or the know how to attempt either one of those fixes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

I didn't do a thing but reset it the next morning and it has kept good time ever since. I don't know what the issue was, but it seems to have corrected itself. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
A stray drop of oil could have found its way onto the hairspring. This can make the coils stick together and run fast. Also, the mainspring winds all the way and then slips inside the barrel so it doesn't get too tight. If the inside of the barrel wasn't lubed properly, this would also make it run fast.

Neither of these are as likely on a new watch as the ones Jim mentioned. Just keep an eye on it so you can get it resolved during the warranty period.

Steve

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I guess the watch must have been scared of getting walloped:001_smile: so it fixed itself

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the watch must have been scared of getting walloped:001_smile: so it fixed itself
Possibly! It's still keeping great time a few days later. Perhaps it was just an odd anomaly, but I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it won't do that again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts