WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had scratched the AR coating on my M9 while trying to remove the metal bracelet. Totally my fault, I was just so frustrated that I took it off the cloth to get better leverage... Anyway, I was tired of looking at the scratches and decided to remove the AR myself. So I used some MAAS metal polish and and old Oral-B electric toothbrush and set to work. First, I taped off the bezel with electrical tape and then started. After two applications, I washed it under warm, soapy water and could clearly see that I had removed about a nickel sized portion of the AR from the center of the crystal. While I was doing that, the electrical tape started slipping off so I decided to take it all off. I then focused on the outer portion of the crystal, but there was no way to do that without also covering the bezel with the toothbrush.

The result is the bezel now has a slight polish to it. I tried to capture the look in the attached pictures. I like the effect; it's almost like it warms the bezel and I'm sure it will look great with a nice leather strap. Also, the scratches all came out and I like the look without the outer AR; but I think I'll keep it on my B14. The whole process only took about 30 minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with you for anyone contemplating doing the same thing to mask the bezel (unless they l;ike how mine came out).

IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3234.jpg IMG_3236.jpg IMG_3238.jpg IMG_3242.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive done this to my m24 and m27. I like the look without the exterior ar coating. I used a rotary tool and an aluminum polish. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
What did you use to mask the crystal?
I don't think masking off the sapphire is as crucial (or even necessary?) for the M tungstens because of how hard tungsten carbide is.

I've been planning on giving AR removal a try on my M25 but just haven't had the time yet.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I took the AR off my M tungsten with metal polish, and you do not need to mask it off. The polish won't damage it at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry, I meant masking the case to prevent what happened to my M9 (although I knew what I was doing, I just wasn't sure how strong the effect would be). Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Might want to give the little woman/significant other a "heads up" before they use that electric toothbrush!

:scared:

Thanks for sharing your experience! Not sure I want to remove the AR from any of my watches, but if I do, it's good to know how you did it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
At first, i masked it with masking tape.

But towards the end, the felt had destroyed the tape since i used a rotary tool.

I used autosol brand aluminim polish and there is no effect on the tungsten case.

You will still have the purple hue, but remarkably less.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I did this to my M6 using just a Cape Cod cloth. Not the recommended procedure, took way to much elbow grease. I liked the result though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts