WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to build a small collection of 1958 watches, tha's my birth year. I always loved vintage Hamilton electric but I know that they haven't a sure date system (serial etc). So I choosed the Titan that, other than I really love its deco stye) as far as I know was produced only for one year, from end of 1957 to 1958 (at least it is present only on 1958 catalog and disappeared from 1959 one). After some search I found on ebay this one with white dial in very nice conditions and already serviced and I got it, even though I usually prefer black dials. The seller was very nice and knowing of my preference offered to look for another dial to eventually have refinished in black. Than, a few days ago, he alerted me that one original black dial for the Titan was on ebay. I bought that too so when it will arrive here in Italy I will have the choice of both dials. The watch arrived a few days ago, it's in really great conditions, wth a nice patine on the dial. Here are some pics for your review.
DSCF0530.jpg
DSCF0529.jpg
DSCF0534.jpg
Update 03/31-Here are new pics with the black dial just mounted:

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
It looks like it is in beautiful condition. Congratulations. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very nice! I have a few vintage Hamitons..Sidney...Dexter...Martin.. soon Morton! Like to get one for my birth year as well... "57"!

Best

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like to get one for my birth year as well... "57"!

Best

Bob
The point is, how do you know if it's from 1957? I heard that hamilton serials aren't very indicative. I deducted mine because it appeared only on 1958 catalog, missing on 1957 and missing on 1959, so... :001_smile:

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
The point is, how do you know if it's from 1957? I heard that hamilton serials aren't very indicative. I deducted mine because it appeared only on 1958 catalog, missing on 1957 and missing on 1959, so... :001_smile:
For the older models (early part of the 20th century) there are records available for when a particular movement went to the finishing room at the Lancaster plant. This is one of the many factors that make Hamiltons so appealing to collectors.

After WWII, well more specifically in the 1950s and since, the movements no longer had serial numbers so the date/year of production can only be guessed at or pro-rated from annual records.

Unless there is an inscription giving the date, about the only accurate means of recording a watch's date of manufacture is to state "c19xx Model, catalogued 19aa to 19bb". Frinstance, my avatar at left... c1955 Hamilton Roger, catalogued 1955 (only). It may have sat in a jewelry store for years before being sold, but all we can be certain of was that it was only catalogued in 1955.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless there is an inscription giving the date, about the only accurate means of recording a watch's date of manufacture is to state "c19xx Model, catalogued 19aa to 19bb". Frinstance, my avatar at left... c1955 Hamilton Roger, catalogued 1955 (only). It may have sat in a jewelry store for years before being sold, but all we can be certain of was that it was only catalogued in 1955.
The same with the Titan, catalogued only in 1958.:001_smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts