WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then, I daydreamed. And today I dreamed (again) that one day I will be able to afford to enter the WOSTEP school and finally take up my basic training course!

Do any of you considered going or have gone??

The Basic course is CHF35,000 which includes tuition, basic accommodation and train tickets to factories. It is a 32,000 hour course, spanning over 2 years. There is, however, a 2 day test which you must pass before starting the actual course proper. Books and tool kits are an additional CHF 2800. That translates to SGD40,000. And I am excluding inflation rate here!!

the closest accreditation I got are these two. :thumbup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey, Boscoe, you made a joke!

If you look at those costs, that is a VERY cheap course! I would expect that number of hours to cost quite a bit more.

Plus it includes housing and train rides? They are obviously hard-up for watchmakers (which we all know).

I'd do it if I could! It would be fun!:thumbup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as I quote from WOSTEP website 'WOSTEP is an independent and neutral institution that is recognised as an exemplary training centre in the field of watchmaking.'

and it stands for Watchmakers of Switzerland Training and Educational Program.

Yes, I think it would be very fun. Though I understand that the standards of Swiss is the highest in the watch industry. It will not be easy to pass their tests.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It is a 32,000 hour course, spanning over 2 years.
Thirty-two thousand hours translates to three years, nine months, twenty-four hours a day.

That's a pretty intense program.

I thought Marine Corps Boot Camp was tough.

Heck, I thought graduate school was tough.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Miss Huang,

Ever tried looking into education loan since Singapore is bent on becoming the regional watch hub for South East Asia. The training would position you favorably in your venture. :biggrin:

As Lance's sponsor would say "Go for it" :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are one serious watch lady!

I'd go, if I had the time
Well, I am not that serious in real person if you were to know me. But the watch industry is much male-dominated, so being a lady interested in watch mechanics is like having a female construction worker!

Plus, given my age, I think I have to catch up much on knowledge.

Miss Huang,

Ever tried looking into education loan since Singapore is bent on becoming the regional watch hub for South East Asia. The training would position you favorably in your venture. :biggrin:

As Lance's sponsor would say "Go for it" :lol:
I am not sure about the whether to get a education loan or not. I dont really like owing banks money. So I rather work hard, save and invest to earn the money. Besides, I just found out that the minimum entry age is ABOVE 23. and I am just turn 23 a few months ago.

But thanks for reminding me about a thing called 'education loan' :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You were a Jarhead? What did you do for last month's b-day?
I am a Jarhead--'67-'71; RVN '68-'69

Original primary MOS was 0811.

I worked 10 November. I wore a US/USMC flag pin and greeted all Marines with a Happy Birthday. At the end of the day, I said a prayer to Chesty Puller and went to sleep and dreamed of sand pits and squat thrusts forever.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of tests? Paper or actual watch projects?
2 day entrance test is more of assessing your manual dextrity.

After which, the tests over the next 2 years, would be both paper and an actual watch project. Upon completion, you get to keep your own watch!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
But the watch industry is much male-dominated, so being a lady interested in watch mechanics is like having a female construction worker!

Plus, given my age, I think I have to catch up much on knowledge.
Really? I think WIS world is male dominated but the watch making industry has a high ratio of women at the factories. Check out all those watchmakers in Biernne, Le Locle, Neuchatel....if I recall rightly, Glaschutte employs an army of women in their assembly plants. Epson Seiko does the same too. There some gifted women movement designers too. :cool1:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really? I think WIS world is male dominated but the watch making industry has a high ratio of women at the factories. Check out all those watchmakers in Biernne, Le Locle, Neuchatel....if I recall rightly, Glaschutte employs an army of women in their assembly plants. Epson Seiko does the same too. There some gifted women movement designers too. :cool1:
I am not very sure about this. But yes, Nomos Glashuette has a quite a few of female watchmakers. I always hold the female watchmakers with high regard though :)

But what I meant is if you look at the really high end and famous watchmakers, are mostly male and probably grey-haired too.

As for women watchmakers, I heard from a watchmaker that sometimes women make better watchmakers because their strength is lesser than the male counterparts, since watch parts are all very intricate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts