WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I'm new to Patek and considering my first purchase. Any help would be appreciated!
Completely removing the subjective nature of the purchase, which do you guys believe makes the
best investment and why?
1) 5035
2) 5054
3) 5015 which has been discontinued and gone up in value about 60% since...

Thanks!:confused1:

P.S. Please feel free to suggest other similar models with similar price points...

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
A luxury watch should not be an investment. As such we don't post speculative "what's the best investment model" posts here.

As to which one is the best model, which one do YOU like the best? Which one makes you feel the best when you strap it onto your wrist? Which one makes you smile the most when you see it? Which one can be worn with the majority of your attire? What's your significant other (if you have one) think of those models? That's the model you should buy. Anything else here is the opinion of a complete stranger on what you should spend your money on.

Now all that said, the only one that appeals to me (and even then not-so-much) is the 5035. Not a fan of the look of the 5054 nor 5015 at all.

Good luck in the hunt!

PS - you may want to post pics of the 3 models you're referring to. You'll almost certainly get more feedback if you show what the 3 are vs. making the people you want opinions from go and look it all up (which most will not do).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me its the 5015 hands down! All the other stuff is obvious which is why
I said "completely removing the subjective nature"... Was just looking for some
opinions, not a lecture. :w00t:
Thanks for the reply anyway!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure why people aren't allowed to ask the perfectly valid question about investment potential?

Given that Patek's can often be the most expensive purchase you make after a home, I see nothing wrong with potential future values coming into the equation when making a decision.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
For me its the 5015 hands down! All the other stuff is obvious which is why
I said "completely removing the subjective nature"... Was just looking for some
opinions, not a lecture. :w00t:
Thanks for the reply anyway!
You didn't get a lecture. You got information and an opinion. As watch-guy said, no need to get snippity here. If the 5015 is the "hands down" choice as you said, that's really all that should matter in this discussion. Would you rather wear a watch you don't like just because it may hold better future value? :confused1:

Not sure why people aren't allowed to ask the perfectly valid question about investment potential?

Given that Patek's can often be the most expensive purchase you make after a home, I see nothing wrong with potential future values coming into the equation when making a decision.
Do you really think an internet forum of complete strangers is the place to ask about investment potential? We're here because we enjoy the watches. Topics on future value and 'which will be worth more' is almost always a wasted subject as no one actually knows. Everything said will be supposition and wild guesses, of which no one knows which will be true. There's no magic 8-ball here. If you really want a professional opinion on value an auction house or appraiser who specializes in Patek's in the best source, not the stranger behind the keyboard. As such we don't allow discussions on value's here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not unlike "classic car talk", investment potential is almost always a factor, especially when spending a lot of money
as someone pointed out. That said, it's a Patek. I like them all, and the three that I mentioned are all fairly similar in
appearance. I'd be happy wearing any of them.
Pretty strange that my original post would generate this kind of banter...

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Actually, if you'll read thru the posts here you'll find most people do not consider the future value as a deciding factor. Pricing may be discussed a bit, but that's different than future value. After all, all Patek's will at least maintain their value, and most will go up. I know I did not consider resale value when I purchased my 1st Patek.

As to the banter comment, keep in mind you asked for opinions and were given them. I provided you a comment that we don't discuss the future value question, per the forum's guidelines. Had you read those first maybe you'd have seen it. The bottom line is we're happy to discuss the watches and give opinions on the watch and how to help make decisions. However, we won't allow discussions on future valuations and we certainly won't debate it here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey there, I'm new to Patek and considering my first purchase. Any help would be appreciated!
Completely removing the subjective nature of the purchase, which do you guys believe makes the
best investment and why?
1) 5035
2) 5054
3) 5015 which has been discontinued and gone up in value about 60% since...

Whatever you decide, congrads on your future purchase. I wish I had a tough choice like that to make.
:001_tt1:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Whichever watch will be the most valuable over time is the one I would get....

Seriously though, this is a watch forum. We like to wear the watches we buy and discuss them, regardless of the brand. There aren't many safe queens here and value is highly subjective. If your intent is monetary value your in the wrong place. We love our watches for what they are not what they are worth.

You're on one of the most friendliest watch forums out there, with people willing to offer their help to those who ask.

Yawn...? You mad bro?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
You didn't get a lecture. You got information and an opinion. As watch-guy said, no need to get snippity here. If the 5015 is the "hands down" choice as you said, that's really all that should matter in this discussion. Would you rather wear a watch you don't like just because it may hold better future value? :confused1:

Do you really think an internet forum of complete strangers is the place to ask about investment potential? We're here because we enjoy the watches. Topics on future value and 'which will be worth more' is almost always a wasted subject as no one actually knows. Everything said will be supposition and wild guesses, of which no one knows which will be true. There's no magic 8-ball here. If you really want a professional opinion on value an auction house or appraiser who specializes in Patek's in the best source, not the stranger behind the keyboard. As such we don't allow discussions on value's here.
I absolutely think a forum like this is the place to discuss all aspects of watch ownership, including costs and potential value. I fully agree that talk of future value is speculative to say the least but there are folks on forums who have a depth of experience and could provide at least an educated opinion. Honestly I don't understand why some feel this subject is so abhorrent that it should be banned from an open discussion. As timewilltell1 says, its fairly common in car discussions and other high cost purchases, why not for a Patek that often costs much more and can have the potential for significant gains. If I was in the a situation where I simply could not decide which of a few similarly priced watches to buy, I'd be quite interested to hear people's thoughts on resale value.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I absolutely think a forum like this is the place to discuss all aspects of watch ownership, including costs and potential value. I fully agree that talk of future value is speculative to say the least but there are folks on forums who have a depth of experience and could provide at least an educated opinion. Honestly I don't understand why some feel this subject is so abhorrent that it should be banned from an open discussion. As timewilltell1 says, its fairly common in car discussions and other high cost purchases, why not for a Patek that often costs much more and can have the potential for significant gains. If I was in the a situation where I simply could not decide which of a few similarly priced watches to buy, I'd be quite interested to hear people's thoughts on resale value.

As such we don't allow discussions on value's here.
As I said in the above portion of the post you removed from the quote, it's not going to be debated. Period. You don't have to agree with our rules, but you do have to abide by them. Further attempts to debate will result in the posts being deleted without notice and/or the thread being locked.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Oh, I can see that you will get on well here..............NOT!

You know what they say about sarcasm.......
Its the lowest form of................

But just to bring your question back on track........Personally I would choice the 5035, its a beautiful piece with a great complication.

I don't like the other two as the dial is too out of balance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.