WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just received my first 218 accutron. It is NOS N1 18K heavy gold plate with 10KRGP back. It has a very sporty look and as far as I can tell, has never been worn until I got it today. I am very happy! :biggrin:

These are the seller's pictures.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am really liking this one. Yes, it came from Bulgaria. The seller was really good to deal with but it took almost 3 weeks to get here.
Yep, thought so. His name is Ludmil and I have mentioned him frequently on this forum. His photography is outstanding and easy to spot. I bought three watches from him last year and have had several serviced by him. He is a great resource, especially since he will work on all six calibers of Accutron movements. Yes, shipping can be slow. It usually has taken less than two weeks either way for mine but once it was a few days short of five weeks! That was panic time, especially as I had two rather unusual Accuquartz watches on the way back from servicing. In my experience, he does a good job of regulating the movements for accurate time keeping. I love the dial on yours and the band complements the watch very nicely.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a brother to that watch ... Mine is an N2 with a Speidel bracelet. Case, face & hands are identical except that I just noticed the crown is slightly smaller and not signed. It must have been replaced somewhere in its lifetime...:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a brother to that watch ... Mine is an N2 with a Speidel bracelet. Case, face & hands are identical except that I just noticed the crown is slightly smaller and not signed. It must have been replaced somewhere in its lifetime...:001_rolleyes:
Any Pics? I have been wearing mine everyday since it arrived. I think I am hooked on the Accutrons now. :biggrin:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Yep, thought so. His name is Ludmil and I have mentioned him frequently on this forum. His photography is outstanding and easy to spot. I bought three watches from him last year and have had several serviced by him. He is a great resource, especially since he will work on all six calibers of Accutron movements. Yes, shipping can be slow. It usually has taken less than two weeks either way for mine but once it was a few days short of five weeks! That was panic time, especially as I had two rather unusual Accuquartz watches on the way back from servicing. In my experience, he does a good job of regulating the movements for accurate time keeping. I love the dial on yours and the band complements the watch very nicely.
Yeah - his photos are easy to pick! His watches always look gorgeous. He mostly seems to deal in 218s not many 214s.

Everything I hear is good about him. My first thought was - Accutron expert........Bulgaria?!?!??

I've had email contact and he sounds great. He's getting my three non-working 218s to bring back to life real soon.........

P.S - that is a lovely watch. I love coloured second hands..........

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yeah - his photos are easy to pick! His watches always look gorgeous. He mostly seems to deal in 218s not many 214s.

Everything I hear is good about him. My first thought was - Accutron expert........Bulgaria?!?!??
Yeah, mine too! I thought "Do I want to send my precious Accutrons all the way to Bulgaria?" :scared: Guess that isn't too bad. The Mars rover made it all the way to Mars and there are Accutrons on the Moon. :lol: His turn-around time is usually 1-2 weeks. Shipping can be as fast as less than 2 wks. each way or as long as 5 wks. Ouch. Two more of mine will be sent in a month or so - if I stop spending money on more watches! :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
557 Posts

I've had email contact and he sounds great. He's getting my three non-working 218s to bring back to life real soon.........

P.S - that is a lovely watch. I love coloured second hands..........
If it is the guy that goes by Member id anticvarius, he does really good work. I have dealt with him in the past when he was located in Niagra Falls. He was the only one in Canada (that I know of) that specialized in hummers.

BTW Nice Watch!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If it is the guy that goes by Member id anticvarius, he does really good work. I have dealt with him in the past when he was located in Niagra Falls. He was the only one in Canada (that I know of) that specialized in hummers.

BTW Nice Watch!
Yep, same guy. He lived in Canada for a number of years before moving back to Bulgaria. The only thing I could criticize him for is the $18 S&H he charges on the serviced watches he sells. Cost to ship is really about $13 unless you go for the expensive International Priority with tracking then it is around $30, IIRC. Says he has sold/serviced more than 3,000 Accutrons. Besides all the other calibers, he sure does a good job on the 221s and 230s that many won't service anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
A real beauty! Same case style as my SS blue dial I bought in 1973. Come from Bulgaria?
I could tell by the pics he takes it was from that Bulgaria seller. Love viewing his items on ebay. Bought one of his watches so far.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
The seller was really good to deal with but it took almost 3 weeks to get here.
My last shipment from him only took 9 days. It arrived the same day another package I was waiting on showed up but that package was mailed to me 2 weeks before the Bulgaria watch. Bottom line, New York Kennedy customs are slow at times and some shipments sit there a week or longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

I have been wearing this watch daily since it arrived. It has been running about 20 seconds fast per day which is not too bad for a 41 year old watch. I was sure these watches were capable of better accuracy, so being the geek that I am, I down loaded the 218 repair manual. The regulation of the 218 is very easy and the manual has a step by step process. The worst part is removing the back without damaging it. This can be done if you go slow and are very careful. I had to make the changes four times but I have it regulated now as best as one can get it. For the last 48 hours, it has not gained or lost any time. I don't know how long this accuracy will last, but I am very pleased at the outcome. :biggrin:

Mike

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Update:

I have been wearing this watch daily since it arrived. It has been running about 20 seconds fast per day which is not too bad for a 41 year old watch. I was sure these watches were capable of better accuracy, so being the geek that I am, I down loaded the 218 repair manual. The regulation of the 218 is very easy and the manual has a step by step process. The worst part is removing the back without damaging it. This can be done if you go slow and are very careful. I had to make the changes four times but I have it regulated now as best as one can get it. For the last 48 hours, it has not gained or lost any time. I don't know how long this accuracy will last, but I am very pleased at the outcome. :biggrin:

Mike
I have regulated several of mine and yes, the job isn't too difficult if you have a modicum of tech skills. It is best to regulate them about +2 seconds/day fast in static mode so that when worn and subjected to movement and positional changes, the watch will be accurate. Since you have worn yours daily and have achieved good results, sounds like you did a great job. If the watch has been serviced and has a reasonably fresh battery, it should continue to keep good time. As you said, not bad for technology developed in the 1950s!!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I was more than a little nervous about opening it up, but I can't be happier with the results. Checked it again this morning with time.gov and it is still dead on. These watches are amazing. I now have a bad desire to get a RR Approved and a Spaceview, but I will have to wait a while to gather the funds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.