WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to a lot of yard sales and recently, over a period of a couple weeks, I found three Accutron 218s at a total outlay of about $20. None were running when found and I ordered some batteries for them and finally got around to installing them. The first watch was dead the second one would hum but not run and this third one sprang to life and has been running fine and accurately.

It's an N1, 2181 in 14K GF case with a Speidel 10K GF expansion band.

My first Accutron and I'm very happy with it.

accutron.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
What a find!

That's a stunner! Can't beat the price either. Show us the others, running or not. We're all fools for a pretty face (dial).

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I go to a lot of yard sales and recently, over a period of a couple weeks, I found three Accutron 218s at a total outlay of about $20. None were running when found and I ordered some batteries for them and finally got around to installing them. The first watch was dead the second one would hum but not run and this third one sprang to life and has been running fine and accurately.

It's an N1, 2181 in 14K GF case with a Speidel 10K GF expansion band.

My first Accutron and I'm very happy with it.

View attachment 27523
Great finds! Do you know about tapping the side of the case (at the 9:00 position) gently on a hard surface to coax the tuning forks to vibrate? Often will coax a non-runner back to life but will still need service. Even just humming is a good thing as it tells you the coils may well be OK.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Now I don't care who you are , that's a darn nice looking watch !! I hope you will show the other two to us and then choose to get them running.
You sure go to better garage sales than I do, I've done some looking and never found one that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all -- will try to take photos of the other two on Saturday after the sun comes up.

I do know about the tapping trick (I got a copy of the 218 service manual) but that watch only runs for a second when I do that. But, I haven't given up on it yet.

Fortunately the one that runs is the best looking of the lot in my opinion. It has a service note inside dated 2003 and I was told it's been sitting unused for at least several years.

I don't usually run into Accutrons at yard sales either -- it was just one of those "when it rains, it pours" things I guess. :001_smile:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Wow, bumper! That is quite a find! :eek:hmy: That one is in great condition! Congratulations! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here are the other two yard sale finds:

The one on the left is dead and also the stem won't lock in place for some reason. The one on the right (with window reflection) hums but doesn't run.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Both probably have a 218 movement but could also have 219 movements. Can't really tell until case back is removed. Each movement will sound the same from the outside if running properly. The 219 movement will have a large black plastic portion visible and only one coil with a weight on the other side of the tuning fork.

I like the SS one on the left.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Gotta agree with OliverB, I like the one on the left with the stain dial. The one on the right, not so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts