WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody! I am new here to the forums and also new with owning and understanding about watches as well. I just recently became interested in watches due to a new job I have at a watch repair shop (I didnt even think anyone wore watches anymore) but quickly found out that plenty of people still do and that watches really are very interesting peices of machinery. I do very basic stuff right now at the shop I work at...band adjustments, batteries, pins, diagnosing problems (easy stuff) but anyways I decided to buy a watch for myself...being a broke college student I dont have much money but have been VERY interested in the accutron tuning fork movements being that its so different and unique and still affordable (being not in the thousands) So i decided I wanted to buy one for myself...So I went to ebay and I specifically wanted a spaceview, and yes I am well aware of all the conversions and fakes out there, but I really dont mind on having an authentic spaceview at the moment because i really dont have the money. But heres the one that I did end up buying (I cant tell if its authentic or not, like i said... doesnt really matter to me)

Auctiva Image Hosting

My question though is that I do want to change the crystal and hands to have the yellow dots and yellow hands, whenever I look for the kits they specify that they are made for "B" model spaceviews, but Im not sure if myn would be classified as a "B" model or not...and if its not is there anywhere where I can get the yellow dot crystal and hands that would work with my "spaceview"??

·
Registered
557 Posts
The "B" case is the stainless "turtle lug" case style 2362 (I believe). It takes a 30.55mm crystal.

I'm not sure what size crystal yours takes as I have not had that case style before. Perhaps one of the regulars could chime in. I am also not sure if the yellow dot crystals were available for other cases.

It's my understanding that the vast majority of "dot crystal" spaceviews, before the internet made the replacements readily available, were converted by jewellers/dealers. I don't have an issue with conversions as long as they are done well. As it is, you can get NOS parts and do a conversion that even the most expert collector could not say it wasn't done at the store in the early 60's.

I have what appears to be a conversion or switched movement, a 1964 with a later movement and I think it is one of my nicer looking 214`s.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have that case. Not sure the crystal size though. I have never seen one converted to yellow dot but that doesn't mean nobody has tried. I have also never seen those hands in "white". They look to be the pointed style on my swiss conversion but painted. A shame too since those hands are harder to come by than normal lume hands. Either way, the watch looks nice. I'm interested to see the movement markings. B-style cases also bring a decent amount of money not in spaceview form. Converting it with NOS parts would cost about the same as buying one already converted with NOS parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.