WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an AD that had both of the watches I want, but I can only get one. I found the Rolex Milgauss GV and the Breitling Chronomat 41 in grey today at an AD in SLC. I love the dial and the case of the Breitling, but the Rolex is just sexy. I don't know how else to describe it. This AD won't be me a discount on either, but another will give a discount on the Breitling to where both watches are pretty much equal price.

My intuition is the Breitling, especially since I don't plan to ever sell either watch.

I know it's my mind to make up but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of the Milguass. Ont he other hand I love the Chronomat 41, especially in the gray dial... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Breitling by a long-shot for me here... But again, I'm going to bet you get far more "Rolex" votes.... So make sure you go with what your heart tells you.

And remember, the internet forums are one of the few places where someone will ask a complete stranger what they should do, take that strangers opinion as the golden gospel and do what the stranger said 'because that stranger must be an expert'.. :lol: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
well you've got two great styles, I'm a fan of both, and have been in your shoes. I did not have my heart on a chronomat, I had it set on a older style super ocean, my decision was the super ocean, but to be honest with you, I still lust after the rolex milgauss, and I will have one at some point.

Both are great time pieces and will serve you well, you really can't go wrong, get the one YOU LOVE! and don't look back!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have a chronomat evolution and I love it. But lately I have been drooling over the black faced Milgauss GV! That watch is spectacular. Really nothing else looks like it. That being said go with your heart and enjoy it! They are both great watches.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Without a doubt, I'd want the....

Nuts. My brain stopped working. To quote our illustrious member Enzo Temko: "I can't think without pics."

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Ahhh, I feel the wheels turning again.

I'd want the Milgauss. In most instances I'd say Breitling, but the Rolex you're talking about is a sweet watch and a better size for me.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
They're both really cool watches. As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with either. I'm not sure how high up the Breitling sits on the wrist, so if you wear formal shirts regularly, then go for the Rolex.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Milgouss, for me the Breitling. A gorgous looking watch, and I love the dial colour. A bit more blingy than the Rolex, so that would be the major decision factor IMO, do you want bling?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're both really cool watches. As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with either. I'm not sure how high up the Breitling sits on the wrist, so if you wear formal shirts regularly, then go for the Rolex.
I do not wear formal shirts all that often so that wouldn't be an issue with me.

I like both of them very very much. The mil gauss is sleeky and sexy and can be resold very easily if I'm ever in a pinch.

The Breitling is a little more blingy and showy. I love the case on this watch and it's a little more heavy and bulkier, which I like.

My company is promoting me and moving me in the next couple of weeks, which is why I'm getting myself a little treat. I'm hoping to decide by the time I move as I will have both AD's within walking distance of my new place.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bottom line - Go with your gut.

Can't really go wrong with either. If you were constantly swapping watches, then the Milgauss would be to easy choice. But since this one will be with you forever, go with the one you love.

One other wrinkle - if you have (or plan to have) kids, I think that the Milgauss might be a better choice. Seems like a better "hand-me-down" watch. That's purely based on my opinion though.

I would think that you might be able to get a discount on the Breitling. Milgauss would be VERY tough.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Two great watches. I have found myself facing similar dilemmas many times. For those of us crazy about watches it is a common situation.

My process is that I at first try to use rational thought as far as intended use (dress, sport, casual etc.) obviously cost, and my feelings about brand value, longevity (trendy or timeless classic). I always have a running list of timepieces I desire, categorized and prioritized by legitimate purchase chances down to "gotta hit the lotto first" fantasy grail pieces.

Finally when I have the funds set aside, and I am down to the wire, I visualize myself purchasing one, taking it home and wearing it. Then I do the same with the other. Finally i do a wrist check, and go with my first gut feeling. I have had pretty good success with this methodology, however, on occasion I have had second thoughts and the watch I selected just didn't meet my expectations. That is where trade in comes in. Over the years, I have had to make some sacrifices to my collection this way.

I am now down to 4 high quality pieces, each one of which I like a lot and have no intension of letting go (but I always looking out for great opportunities). For instance, I thought I had a deal to trade my Rolex Daytona SS black dial for a white gold Patek Philippe Calatrava, but it fell through.

Now, to your question. You can't go wrong with the Rolex as far as value, the green Milgaus exclusivity, and personal taste, but I think Breitling is a brand on the move, especially with their new in house movement. I personally am trying to decide between the Chronomat GMT 44, Transocean, and the Navitimer. But that is my situation cause I already have a Rolex Daytona and an Explorer II and I am looking hard at the Breitlings right now.

Good luck and enjoy whichever fine timepiece you decide on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd opt for the Breitling. I do like the Milgaus, but to me it's look isn't anything that I don't see in several watches for less than half as much money. I like the simpler non-diver Rolexes, but if I were to go for one, it would be a vintage piece, or a Tudor, and save a bundle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone that replied. I know it's a thread where the OP just wants some satisfaction.

I have decided to go with the Breitling, provided I get the discount why offered. I have one question, if you offer to pay in cash, do they discount more?

I've seen the Milgauss a couple times this week and it just does not scream me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts