WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings folks! I'm hoping some of you experts can shed some light on this watch. It was my fathers watch, he passed over 20 years ago and the watch has been sitting in my gun safe since. I looked at ebay, but I can't find this exact watch. It’s a Seamaster 1430 in 14k gold. Any 1430’s I’ve seen are not gold (maybe I missed it). Most Seamaster’s I’ve seen have the logo on the back, this one does not. I also have attached a pic of the band. I'm not sure it's original to the watch. I appreciate any insight given. I live in Montana. Not to many experts around here!
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory
Automotive lighting Magnifying glass Audio equipment Metal Electric blue
Wood Gas Electric blue Auto part Close-up

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
Someone on Watchuseek asked the same question in 2008, albeit different circumstances. Here is the reply he got:

Probably this one: Seamaster 'Jubilee'
1987 BA 196.750 MZ
Quartz electronic analogic Caliber number: 1430 Created in 1982 6 jewels
Case 18K solid yellow gold
Dial Champagne (.12) or silvered (.13) with 11 index hour markers + luminous points, or white (.60) with11 roman hour markers. All dials with luminous hands.
Scratch-resistant sapphire
PIC ref. = 7910.11.xx (champagne dial)
PIC ref. = 7910.23.xx (white dial)
PIC ref. = 7910.31.xx (silvered)
Case : round (4,9 x 32,5 mm), 18K solid yellow gold
For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size
International Collection : 1987-1992
Swiss retail price : CHF 1'450.-
Back in October one (also gold) sold for $375 on eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! Is there a big difference in the 1430 and the 1432? The one that sold on Ebay was a 1432.
I really feel ignorant! I have zero experience with watches. I never wear one, either the sun is up or it's not in my world.
Thanks again!
Walter

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
Don't worry...I don't know either! I just found this by Googling images of your watch and following the hits. Sorry!
My best guess is that there's some small difference in the parts of the drivetrain...the actual shafts and gears that make the hands go around.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
I've never seen one quite like that but vintage quartz Seamasters aren't my specialty. it looks pretty cool, you say it's been in a safe for 20years? Ulack probably knows the real scoop on this one and will be along shortly I bet.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
I just thought of something. Take it to a watch shop and have them look inside to make sure the battery hasn't leaked. That would ruin the insides for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I really appreciate the help! Yes, it has been in my gun safe for about 20 years. The safe does have dehumidifier if that helps any. I plan on taking into town at some point and have someone look at it. I just did not want to get taken advantage of if I try selling it. Really, it holds little sentimental value to me and I cant see myself ever wearing it. I have an old zenith grand father's watch that has been hand down through the generations, that I plan on holding on to.
Thanks again folks!
Walter

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
... The safe does have dehumidifier if that helps any...
The dehumidifier will certainly keep the insides of the watch dry, but I'm not so sure about protection from battery leakage.

I would ask you to reconsider selling it, BTW. Maybe it has little sentimental value to you, but maybe you'll have a son (or daughter!) who would get a thrill out of having their grandfather's watch!
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Comethunter! I will consider it. We live a rather simple life here in Montana. I can't see the watch ever being more than a conversation piece in my family. Who knows though, as with most children, my daughter may catch the first flight out of here when she is old enough!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.