WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch Analog watch Light Amber Natural material

My dad recently passed away and I have one of his Omega's. The crown is broken, but it runs if its shook. I think it's from the late 50's or early 60's.

I'm looking to do a quick service & maybe polish the crystal, but not a full restoration. I live in Houston, so I could take to the Omega boutique. Would that make sense or should I try to find a local watchmaker a referral from WTF?

He has another Seamaster from this era plus a Deville from the 90's that my mom couldn't find. So I'll have a couple more to service..

Any advice would be helpful & appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Any competent watchmaker can service the watch. I'd probably support my local economy with this one.

How is the crown broken? The stem can be replaced and the original crown retained.

My condolences on your loss, chief.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Welcome to Watch Talk Forums. Sorry for your loss. That's a 50's watch, and a decent one. Even better that it's an heirloom. Don't go to the Omega boutique - they're WAY too expensive and will repaint the dial and ruin the value to collectors and the sentimental value of it. Look for local watchmakers and see how they rate via reviews on the internet. You can instruct them to do as much or as little as you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a decent watch shop that I'm comfortable with. Told me 1950 seamaster 17 jewels, automatic bumper caliber 342. Needs a bunch of work, but it will be nice when finished!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, everyone. I " unearthed" my father's Omega Seamaster he used while in Saigon in the early 70's. I used to wear it but due to wear and tear of age, the plastic cover cracked, the crown got broken, and it eventually stopped. Having learned how expensive it was to have it restored, I took it to a local watch repair shop. I paid 25% of the original quotation from an authorized SC. I had it fixed.... For sentimental reasons.

Sharing the pic... Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

·
Registered
21 Posts
View attachment 33485

My dad recently passed away and I have one of his Omega's. The crown is broken, but it runs if its shook. I think it's from the late 50's or early 60's.

I'm looking to do a quick service & maybe polish the crystal, but not a full restoration. I live in Houston, so I could take to the Omega boutique. Would that make sense or should I try to find a local watchmaker a referral from WTF?

He has another Seamaster from this era plus a Deville from the 90's that my mom couldn't find. So I'll have a couple more to service..

Any advice would be helpful & appreciated.

Thanks

I think there is a very similar one for sale now on the bay if you want an idea of value

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very nice watch, can't beat an heirloom. I'd have it serviced (leave the dial alone!!!) and I'd lose the aftermarket band and replace it with a nice leather strap. You can also source the correct Omega buckle without too much trouble.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's back! Had it polished, new crystal, crown & a bunch of stuff inside. Bought a brown croc band at the watch shop. Probably could have found one better/cheaper online, but didn't have to wait. Can hear it "bump", which is very cool.

Watch Analog watch Light Product Rectangle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.