WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I bought my 9th watch yesterday (I really don't need it - what a funny and expensive hobby this is turning out to be)?

When looking at my collection I wondered how many other people collect like me? I think subconsciously I like so many different watches out there that I can hardly bear to buy another of the same make before I go ahead and get one from a manufacturer that I haven't purchased from? I know a lot of people buy the same kind of watches (divers, chronographs as two common examples) and sometimes collectors buy lots of the same type from the same manufacturer as well. Of course it is each to their own but I can't seem to collect this way.

I was wondering how many other people either collect like me - or intend to collect like I do in the future.

I will post some pictures for anyone that is interested:

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice!

As you progress, you may figure out exactly what you like in a watch and narrow your focus.

Or, you'll end up like me and get bored and sell and buy something else.
Maybe. I just think I'm fairly open minded and appreciate lots of different styles. I really hope that I stay this way if I'm honest and don't narrow my focus.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Wow!
If the collection starts with the GREATEST/BEST, then it decreases near the end.
BUT the first 7 maybe 8 watches are OUTstanding.
The Breguet surpasses even the Patek Philippe

FANTASTIC, best modern collection I have ever seen

Enjoy
A

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!
If the collection starts with the GREATEST/BEST, then it decreases near the end.
BUT the first 7 maybe 8 watches are OUTstanding.

FANTASTIC, best modern collection I have ever seen

Enjoy
A
That's some compliment. Thanks so much - I'm genuinely flattered.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think I'd rank the Lange as my favorite in your collection, absolutely. But certainly the entire collection is wonderful.

I'm curious though, is there a story behind that TAG? It doesn't really belong to the same style genre or quality tier others in your collection.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'd rank the Lange as my favorite in your collection, absolutely. But certainly the entire collection is wonderful.

I'm curious though, is there a story behind that TAG? It doesn't really belong to the same style genre or quality tier others in your collection.
The TAG was my first expensive watch (prior to that I had only ever spent £40 on a watch). It cost me £700 in about 2001 and I can't seem to ignore it as part of the collection for sentimental reasons. I wore it every day between 2001 and 2007 and then I went and bought the IWC and my tastes changed somewhat.

I have been wondering if anyone would like that kind of TAG anymore though and if I should pass it on to an appreciating home for a minimum cost? It seems a shame that I still have all its papers, the original box and extra bracelet links and it just sits in the safe all lonely.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
I think most of us start out all over the map, and then whittle down to what we really want to keep. Of course, we all don't start owning Breguets & Pateks before getting into double digit quantities. :wink: Regardless, there's no doubt that's an enviable group you've built.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think most of us start out all over the map, and then whittle down to what we really want to keep. Of course, we all don't start owning Breguets & Pateks before getting into double digit quantities. :wink: Regardless, there's no doubt that's an enviable group you've built.
Well working 80 hours a week for 19 years - bordering on a cardiac arrest on many occasions in my work life - has one benefit it seems? By the time I started to love watches I had the option of being able to choose some more expensive options.

Anyone else collect like me (high price and high brand specific is not important) - or are you more specific brand, style or function centric (at what ever "level")?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Very impressive collection, congrats! I like the way you have progressed from the beginning to what you have bought more recently. My collection has gone somewhat the same as yours! Although I still buy in all different tiers!

Sent from Kevin's IPhone

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Well working 80 hours a week for 19 years - bordering on a cardiac arrest on many occasions in my work life - has one benefit it seems? By the time I started to love watches I had the option of being able to choose some more expensive options.
Which works for us - we love pics of nice watches! :001_wub:

.... the heart attack part we don't wish on anyone.

Anyone else collect like me (high price and high brand specific is not important) - or are you more specific brand, style or function centric (at what ever "level")?
Brand: vintage Longines, IWC, JLC, AP, Omega, Bulova, Benrus, Waltham..... I guess that's quite a few.

Style: ultra-thin dress watches, vintage automatics

Function: just starting complications

However, I reserve the right to buy impulsively and change my mind often. :T:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
16,892 Posts
I've succeeded in concentrating on watches that won't send my investment counselor into cardiac arrest. :001_rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Ahhhhh The Patek 5135 in white gold. My absolute favorite watch - period. :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

The TAG was my first expensive watch (prior to that I had only ever spent £40 on a watch). It cost me £700 in about 2001 and I can't seem to ignore it as part of the collection for sentimental reasons. I wore it every day between 2001 and 2007 and then I went and bought the IWC and my tastes changed somewhat.

I have been wondering if anyone would like that kind of TAG anymore though and if I should pass it on to an appreciating home for a minimum cost? It seems a shame that I still have all its papers, the original box and extra bracelet links and it just sits in the safe all lonely.
Keep it, IMO it's not worth selling. I have a similar story (and a similar model) and while it gets worn almost never, it'll never leave the collection. it's the watch that started it all.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Regards,

I don't flatter myself with being a "collector"; at best I seem to be a fairly unfocused, undisciplined "accumulator". It works for me.
I certainly like vintage. I have been involved with acquiring some chronographs the last few months-this has held my attention for the short term.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.