WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

A few people have asked for pics on how my Helson bronze Shark-Diver's patina has grown since I've had it, so thought I'd put it in a "Journey of Time" post for everyone.. :thumbup1:

I bought the watch back in late May. Once I got it, I polished it up with some Brass-O. I have to say, it polished up really nice and had a shiny gold-like look to it. Actually I really liked it's look polished.

Pictures taken right after polishing - May, 2012

But it wasn't long before I used the watch for what it's designed for - diving! All my divers have 2 things in common. 1) they take a beating and 2) they're going to get wet and go deep. I'd had a dive trip planned for June, so it was the perfect opportunity to get the Helson in the salt water!

Pics taken in June 2012.

Right after the 1st set of dives:

After about 30 minutes out of the water:

Wow, really reacting now!

But toned down after about an hour

But once it got in the water again, it 'cleaned up' instantly!

Once out it started the reaction al over again. But about 4 hours later it really toned down.

A few days later it had really evened out

I applied some Carnuba wax to even out the patina and it worked pretty well

Fast forward to August 2012, and it looked like this:

Lastly we travel to December 2012, 6 months after allowing the patina to develop.

The patina has really evened out, and it has red's, oranges, and a hint of greens in it. it's also darkened up quite a bit.

So what started out like this

Has ended up like this after about 7 months.

Personally I didn't know what I'd think of the bronze as it patina's. And I'll admit I've been tempted to polish it up a few times to get it back to it's gold-like newness. But the patina has really grown on me and I like it. it's so unique, and it's funny to see some people give my wrist a double take when wearing it as they try to figure out why it looks so 'weird'.

:thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Nice journey Scott do you think the polishing chemical Brass-O mixed with salt water had anything with this weird change. I'm not a chemist just throwing it out there.
I have no idea. It was a month or so apart and I'd washed it pretty good after giving it the Brass-O treatment. But I guess it is possible, though I think the salt was probably the biggest culprit.

It looks good now. It was a little funky with the crazy blotchy patterns at first.
Yea, I agree. While it was pretty cool looking with all the iridescence, like some of those crazy car paints. It was also fun seeing the looks I got the 1st couple hours until it toned down. But I really like it now. it's a darker color and the reds and orange look good. it's really hard to capture it well in a photograph though.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I have been watching mine develop over time too. It seems to quickly get a light patina and then stay at that level and only slowly develop from there. I have mine on now and it looks good, but I can't wait for some really serious patina to develop. I will be wearing mine on a seaside holiday next month to try and hurry it along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.